£90 to fit my new gas cooker - can I do it myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hia,

Just after some advice, I'm about to buy the Indiset K6G520XG, not the best cooker I'm sure but we are having an extension in about 3 years and will get a new fitted cooker along with that.

Anyway my question is, comet want to charge £90 to connect it up can I do this myself or should I be corgi registered? My old cooker is gas too so is it likely to be relativly easy to connect up the new one to the supply the old one runs off?

Thanks for any advice - I've never brought a cooker before this is my first house & the one we use now was left behind for us.
worto.

Sponsored Links
i could be wrong,but if your old cooker has a bayonet fitting then why would you want to part with 90 quid for them to fit it?

i could be wrong,but if your old cooker has a bayonet fitting then why would you want to part with 90 quid for them to fit it?

gregers no "could be" about it you are wrong, the fitting is the simple part, assuming you can remove the old hose and ensure it is sound enough to fit on the new cooker, you have the proper seal, you test it fully, you commission it fully and properly and you ensure clearances etc are fine for the new one, £90 does seem excessive though, the OP should shop around and hopefully get it fitted for nearer £50,

Sponsored Links
dunno if where talking about the same thing? ;)
id certainly not give advice like connecting/piping up your own gas supply,thats what you corgi guys/girls are for.but if there is a hose already on a cooker?and as long as you already have the fittings(bayanet)then surely you are allowed to connect your own cooker,is it not just the case of pushing the thing up and giving it a twist.

3 yrs from now, 1t w1ll be more than £90, you could d1y, but you don't sound conf1dent or competent. 1am not a gas f1tter.

1 do my own f1tt1ng of gas f1res, small s1mple water heaters, cookers, p1pe exstent1ons, ONLY 1n my own home, use the proper spray to detect leaks.

1f 1 then could smell gas (1 don't) 1 would phone Transco, or whoever 1s respons1ble at the t1me. who would do a pressure, and whatever test.

You must ask yourself, "1s 1t worth gambl1ng my fam1ly l1fe for £100?.

Libby Lou Lou, buy yourself a new keyboard or take apart the one you have & clean the contacts ROFLMAO> :LOL:

thanks for all the replies, I've found someone local who will do it for £50 and they are corgi registered so hopefully all will be OK.

Things have changed somewhat since I posted this as the boiler is going off too so I've got british gas coming in Thursday to see if it's a problem with the gas supply to my house - don't ask me why because apparently if it is they don't look after it anyway so I have to report it to someone else.

Seems unlikely that the cooker & boiler would get the same problem at the same time though so points to the supply to me.

I think I may need some more advice depending what they say but I'll start another thread if need be - once again thanks.

Cheers,
worto.

gregers i think we were talking about the same thing, fitting a gas cooker, after you simply twist and turn the bayonet how do you confirm the new cooker and hose are not leaking and working properly, you can disconnect/reconnect an existing cooker as it is already fitted but you cannot change the cooker

kirk gas,ok if your saying you can disconnect and then reconnect an existing cooker then why do you not have to then test it,if you have disturb it then i wouldve thought you then have to test it?i understand that a corgi gas installer is required to run the gas supply,THAT part im not arguing with BUT i have never heard any one say to me that when a cooker needs pluging in so to speak that it needs checking.i will ask about this at work with our corgi plumber,for my own peace of mind.

a customer can disconnect and reconnect as it is their appliance and they know if anything has happened to it while disconnected (which is highly unlikely) however if i called at your house to fit a cooker for you that was either new or second hand i cannot verify it is safe until i test it, if second hand and you knew the owner and knew the cooker was working fine a connection could be disturbed during transportation etc, i know that would be a long shot but it is quite feasible, i'm sure a lot of people swap cookers that have bayonets but my point is they shouldn't just in case.
there is also a difference between second hand and pre used, pre used is where a customer moves house and takesn their own appliance with them and second hand is not brand new but new to that customer, with different requirements for each :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back