04 Renault Megane 1.4L 16V Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently I have been having an issue with my Megane. I've had a diagnostics check on it and the error codes found were:
P0638 throttle housing control
P0335 engine speed sensor circuit

The garage told me it's because the clutch has slipped and needs replaced as it would fail its MOT.

The problem I'm finding is that when I'm driving along, acceleration becomes weak and the engine is revving heavily. When I remove my foot from the accelerator the engine continues revving and takes much longer to slow down. Once stationary the rev counter is still showing about 2000 revs. I get a message on the dash saying 'Check Injection' which I believe means to check for the error codes? Once I stop and start the engine it works fine again, until it happens yet again.

Could this be the clutch like I'm being told? I'm just looking for an opinion before I spend £350 on a replacement clutch assembly. I understand I haven't provided much information, sorry about that!

Sponsored Links
I think that's a reasonable diagnosis, funny enough.....as the clutch slips, the engine speed doesn't relate to the road speed and that sends sensors haywire. I have heard of similar happenings but no personal experience.
Not a bad idea just to seek a second opinion though, and £350 for a clutch and fitting is pretty good!
John :)

Thanks very much for getting back to me! A few people have said the same thing now so I'm getting the new clutch fitted tomorrow, fingers crossed it sorts the problem out, only had the car a month!

Sponsored Links
Back