1 radiator not hot - no TRV, pipes cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've got one radiator downstairs that's not working. We don't have any TRVs on the system (bar one, that a plumber put on when he replaced a leaking valve last year upstairs).

I've opened both radiator valves, shut them off and re-opened to see if their sticking but they seem to be working fine. I've bled the radiator (and all in the house bar one in the garage that I can't get to as it's boxed in).

Just now, in a vein attempt to get it working before calling a plumber I opened the bleed valve and left it off for a bit to see if I could pull some more water through into the rad. When the water started to flow black, the water was warm, and the pipe leading to the inlet (I guess?) valve below the bleed screw at the top started to warm up too.

I thought that there was a drain valve this side of the rad too, so I've opened that - and nothing came out.. I've uploaded a pciture of it here - as I'm not sure what it does. It unscrews out to a certain point, and back in. It was all the way in, is this correct? Pic of it here: http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6353/photo18v0.jpg

Anyway, the pipe is cooling off again now, and the radiator isn't heating up. Does this sound like a blockage in the radiator?

I doubt I'll be able to get a plumber out any time soon as it's snowed quite bad around me - they won't be able to get up our road/drive... so any other pointers in what I could possible do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh, if it helps the boiler is a 'normal', non-combi boiler.

Edit: I should probably add I've been looking around and searching for this.. not sure if it's a blockage so thought I'd quickly ask.

Sponsored Links
Well if it was getting hot up to the valve, then that side is probably ok so its either a blockage in the radiator or a restriction on the return side, you could take the rad off and try flushing it through, just close valves on both sides of radiator and undo the nuts, making sure you have something underneath to catch the water from the rad, dustbin liner works well?

Both lockshield valves are fully open. Maybe it is blocked then, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back