10 x 2 joist centres for flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm putting 10 x 2 joists in for a flat roof. The span is about 3m from wall plate into steel and then the same out of the other side of the steel to the fascia.
The steel section is 254 tall so I've gone for 10x 2 to give a flat roof and a flush ceiling. Can anyone advise on the centres for these joists please?
Is 600mm any good or is it not much for the plaster boards to fix into?
Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_7965.JPG
    IMG_7965.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 172
Sponsored Links
I'd personally put them in at 450mm (or 16"in old money) . The wider spans may very well be ok for the plasterboard but if it were to start to sag and bow it would be a lot more work to rectify it later whereas the cost of sticking a few extra joists in at this stage would soon be forgotten about.

With respect ladylola, 450mm is 18 inches 400mm is 16" - however I agree with you always go 400mm centres for residential joists. Never skimp on structural detail.

Sponsored Links
With respect ladylola, 450mm is 18 inches 400mm is 16" - however I agree with you always go 400mm centres for residential joists. Never skimp on structural detail.
Oh yes , you're right , mental arithmetic gone to pot there. I do normally work in inches and seeing as the OP used just metric I thought I'd better do the same but obviously should have checked with the tape

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back