100 watt bulb too hot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, one of my bedrooms has always been a little dark so I decided to replace the 60w bulb with a 100w one. After a few minutes I could smell something and felt the bulb holder which was very hot and also the 6inch cable to the rose was quite warm. Why should this happen?

Sponsored Links
Basically the higher the wattage the more heat it gives off for a given lamp type. Some lampholders are rated 60W max and others 100W max. Can you use a 100w equivalent energy saving lamp?

Spark123 said:
Basically the higher the wattage the more heat it gives off for a given lamp type. Some lampholders are rated 60W max and others 100W max. Can you use a 100w equivalent energy saving lamp?

Thanks, I tried the energy savers but my son, who uses the room doesn't like the type of light. Perhaps I should buy a 100w holder then. Cheers

no such thing as 100w holder, its more probable the existing one is too old. Tell your son that as you pay the bill he will have a compact flourescent and lump it

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
no such thing as 100w holder, its more probable the existing one is too old. Tell your son that as you pay the bill he will have a compact flourescent and lump it

The lamp holder is only about 3 years old and the wire was getting quite warm too. So why would the cable get hot? I thought that maybe the wiring was wrong (that was a guess, as I don't know the first thing about electrics....bit like you don't know about family values lol (only joking))

personaly i would suspect a bad contact somewhere [between bulb and socket or the screw terminals

take the shade off and it still overheats its a bad connection or usuatable fitting or wire !!!!!

its not an american fitting is it!!!

big-all said:
personaly i would suspect a bad contact somewhere [between bulb and socket or the screw terminals

take the shade off and it still overheats its a bad connection or usuatable fitting or wire !!!!!

its not an american fitting is it!!!

The shade was already off when i changed the bulb. Cannot say if its an american fitting but I would have thought highly unlikely.

"Because the light bulb is hot and heat rises." So all cables get hot then?

only vertical ones above lamps, and ones in appliances that heat yes.

there somthing not right the heat isnt being funneld up its just dissipating so it shouldnt get hot unless theres a bad contact or somthings badly underated :(

I must have a bad connection on every flex drop in my house then.

Best get my tools out

wasnt disagreeing with you RF Lighting
i bow down to your superior knowlage :eek: ;)
afterall your the spark and i am the chippie :D :D :D ;)
it was just the statement that after a few mins i coud smell something and the holder was very hot suggests somthing amis to me ;)

webstarblue said:
Hi, one of my bedrooms has always been a little dark so I decided to replace the 60w bulb with a 100w one. After a few minutes I could smell something and felt the bulb holder which was very hot and also the 6inch cable to the rose was quite warm. Why should this happen?

Bigall, it is possible the smell was dust on the fitting. 60W lamps only reach about 80 degrees C, but 100W GLS lamps can reach about 140 degrees C.

As for the other thing, the greater heat will be transmitted as radiation through the air and up the cable itself due to contact at the boyonet cap. This is perfectly normal, as the others have stated already.

I agree with the comment above. regardless of your sons wishes, install a 20W compact fluorescent (100W equivelent) and tell him to lump it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back