110v to 230v inverter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I am doing 1st & 2nd fix carpentry on a site, the bulk of my tools are 110 volt but I still need to charge batteries on my impact drivers etc and to get the use of a 230v socket in the designated area is difficult to say the least. Could anyone give me a link or suggest a reasonably priced inverter that I could use off the readily avalable 110v supply with the round commando plug on the 110v feed side and a standard 3 pin socket on the 230v outlet to plug my chargers into.Kind regards Wes.

Sponsored Links
It is not an inverter, it would be a step up transformer.

Look at the base of your charger - What is the spec? Many work from 100v - 250v at 50hz. Just change the plug if this is the case.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
There is a point to 110v - Stepping it up defeats the hole point. you should not use a step up tranny - you then have 240v on site.

Look inside the 110 volt fluerescants used on site , they used to be fitted with a removable unit inside to up the voltage to run the choke at 240v.

We used to remove them to run our radios before H+S stopped it.

The 110v flourescents we use have 110v ballasts and starters in them.
First of all I'd recommend you see if you can get your hands on a 110v battery charger.

If you must have 230v then another 110v site transformer with the windings swapped over and the 110v socket swapped for a 230v 16A commando will do the job. It's only a transformer and won't be fussed about whether it steps up or down. It is not, however, an eleventh solution - finding a 110v charger would be better.

If he were to do anything like that he may as well buy a small step up transformer, we got some from CPC for not a lot of money.

If you must have 230v then another 110v site transformer with the windings swapped over and the 110v socket swapped for a 230v 16A commando will do the job.

Not really a good idea! Its a safety isolating transformer so you don't get the same earthing! This is more of a hazard then using 230v from the plugs.

And in any event, that idea wouldn't work. To use one of those transformers to step up from 110V to 230V, you'd have to supply 110V to what is normally the secondary, and get 230V out of what is normally the primary.

Changing the 110V socket to a 230V one would be of no use whatsoever...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back