13a Fused single socket advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am moving house and will be removing some appliances (Dishwasher, Fridge, Freezer, Washing Machine) which we cut off the plugs and hard wired into the outlets when we moved into our New Build property. The buyers have said they do not want to hard wire their appliances into the wall outlets and have insisted we replace the fused outlets behind the appliances with 13a & 3a sockets, in which they can simply plug in their own appliances. It seems daft to me since having them hard wired with separate switches above the worktop is a much better method, but hey ho its up to them.
For the appliances which are hard wired pic1.jpg but with a separate fused switch above pic2.jpg I am going to simply replace the outlet pic1.jpg for a non switched single socket. Since it is fused above I assume this will be ok.

My question is the switch above the worktop for some appliances pic3.jpg do not however have fuses and instead have the fuse at the wall outlet pic4.jpg. My question is how best to fuse this setup. Can you replace this outlet with a single 13a plug socket with fuse ? Do these even exist as I couldn't see any in B&Q only double sized sockets with a single socket and fuse and switch.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks EFLImpudence

Would the fuse in the plug suffice then ? So where I have the non fused switch pic3.jpg above and replaced this outlet pic4.jpg with an unswitched single socket ae235.jpg this would be perfectly safe without the need for another fuse somewhere ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
thanks again EFLImpudence!

I think i was over complicating this in my mind and missing the obvious doh !

The buyers have .. insisted we replace the fused outlets behind the appliances with 13a & 3a sockets.
How dare they.

That sort of thing is what they do after moving in.

If you are not prepared to tell them to FOAD, start scouring car boot sales for old, mismatched, dirty sockets, put them on as crooked as you can, and don't wire them up so that they work.

The buyers have .. insisted we replace the fused outlets behind the appliances with 13a & 3a sockets.
How dare they.

If you are not prepared to tell them to FOAD, start scouring car boot sales for old, mismatched, dirty sockets, put them on as crooked as you can, and don't wire them up so that they work.

Indeed. Also where do they think you will get 3A sockets as they don't exist?

How dare they.

haha that made me laugh mate !

How dare they.

Indeed. Also where do they think you will get 3A sockets as they don't exist?

I just don't get why the wouldn't want the current system - They asked for sockets to be installed the 3amp socket was me being daft and forgetting the obvious that the fuse (3amp in the case of fridge or freezer) will be in the plug so I don't need a socket with a fuse just an unfused unswitched socket - hence why i couldn't find any in B&Q haha

Because the current system is silly. Appliances come with plugs and are meant to plugged into a socket. Makes it much easier to move them for servicing or replacement.

Ideally the fused connection units above the worktop should be replaced with switches as well as the plugs are fused. These is no need for two fuses in line.

Having said that it's not your job to make the changes. Supposing the sale falls through later and the next buyer wants you to change it back!

A fridge or freezer needs a bigger fuse than 3A due to the start up surge.

Last edited:
Ideally, the fused connection units and switches above the worktop should not have been installed in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back