17th edition fuse box - bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, is bonding between hot and cold water pipes eg under a kitchen sink required if a 17th edition fuse box is fitted?

Thanks[/i]

Sponsored Links
Don't get confused between supplementary bonding and main protective earth bonding.
There is no requirement to supplementary bond hot and hot & cold metallic pipe work within the kitchen.
There may well be a requirement to earth bond your incoming gas, water or oil services. But this would need to be assessed.
So if you had, say a uninsulated water mains service entering your property in the kitchen, then this would require bonding, but only the incoming cold water (rising main), that would also be true of the gas service pipe.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:earthing_supply_types_and_bonding

PS, the fuse box, does not automatically deem the installation compliant to 17th editions, so the term 17th edition fuse box/board/consumer unit, in my eyes is a misleading description.

Thanks for your help, the incoming water and gas pipes have 10mm earth bonding to the fuse box.

Sponsored Links
The supplementary bonding of which you speak has been removed from the regulations since 1991.

The supplementary bonding of which you speak has been removed from the regulations since 1991.
As I'm sure you are aware, current regs still require supplementary bonding in bathrooms under some circumstances. Indeed, the way the regs are written, it starts off by saying that such bonding 'is required' but then goes on to describe 'when it may be omitted' - which (ommision), in practice, will probably apply to the great majority of bathrooms. An electrician would be able to ascertain whether such bonding is still required.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back