17th EDITION?!?!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question....
As now were getting bits of the 17th edition regs flying out im wondering about this `NO supplementary BONDING REQUIRED IN BATHROOMS`

Were now led to believe that instead of the bonding, we will have to ensure ALL circuits in the bathroom are protected by RCD,lights,shaver,extractor,etc,etc.

Now in my short experience, in most houses the bathroom light is part of the entire lighting circuit for that floor,so if the shaver or fan should need maintenance then im left with no lights to work with.

So do we think that a dedicated circuit `UNDER RCD PROTECTION` should be used from the C.U/distribution board to the bathroom?
Erm....was supposed to be a quick question i know but hey ho. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
festa,
this subject came up a while ago, and i tried it out on a rewire.
I ran a radial to a FCU situated outside the bathroom (rcd), and ran light, fan etc off this circuit.

and supp bonding from there

This is hopefully an area that the IET will clear up before the official release of the 17th edition.
A supply from a shaver socket with transformer will not be RCD protected even if the supply is (as it is electrically separate), another one for clarification is the need to RCD protect SELV lights :confused: ....
Everyone sent their Comment forms in, less than 2 weeks to go!! http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/DPC/instructions.cfm

Sponsored Links
We are still working under 16th edition, everything else is in the future so no point doing it as it wont comply.

What you need is patience, mate. As Spark123 says, it will be clarified - assuming the regs go ahead in that way. It may all be changed....

TTC

Also metal pipework seams to be a hazard that can bring voltages in from elsewhere (eg fault on pump/ boiler/ cable crossing the pipe (yes I know it shouldn’t be touching)), so should circuits that are potentially connected to the pipework (eg pump/ boiler etc) be connected via RCD on 17th edition?

Taylortwocities said:
We are still working under 16th edition, everything else is in the future so no point doing it as it wont comply.

There is nothing in the current regs to say you can't protect all bathroom circuits with RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back