1881 solid brick walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am renovating the house and stripped all plaster from walls, ceilings down, dry lining from ground floor internal walls and have broken up a terrible effort to lay a screed which had now membrane underneath.

The exterior walls are rendered with that horrible Wethertex resin coating which is blown to the majority of the lower walls. I will be removing this and am not looking forward to that job because above approx. 2 mtrs high it is stuck like you know what to a blanket and will only come off in small pieces so I intend to remove it using a hand held concrete grinder with diamond tips on the underside rather than around the edge of the disc.

Anyway we have damp around the base of the walls external and internal which I believe is primarily caused by the horrible render trapping water in the walls. Now that I have removed the render low level the majority of the walls are drying out. Today I have stripped out another ground floor room and uncovered the internal supporting wall in very wet along the base and the entire length of the wall approx. 3.5 mts.

At the moment I am not sure if the wall is wet because of trapped water from the external wall travelling along into the internal wall or could it be coming from the wall footings

One of my question is will this wall dry out? or if it is coming up from the footing then how can I remedy the problem? The ground floor is divided into 3 rooms, 2 receptions and a hall. The internal wall in question is between the hall and one of the rooms, if it does not dry out would it be best to install an RSJ and remove the supporting wall and cast the ground floor slab in one, would this method remedy the damp to the base of the internal spine wall?

The existing ground floor concrete slabs have been poorly laid and are of a different thickness and levels, my second group of questions are should I break out the slabs to correct the levels?, then lay a membrane and re lay the concrete slab if so should I lay insulation before screeding the floor. Is insulation in the screed suitable in old houses?

Lots of question I know but I need to start some where, your comments, questions and guidance would be appreciated.

Regards

Keith

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back