1890's House - Internal walls

Sponsored Links
well it hasn't fallen down in the last 123 years.

I think it will stand for a few more.

According to the builder the issue is with cracks appearing in the plaster in the future.

He said as its not 100% stable, through slight movements over time and through heat from the radiators, it will in the futue cause cracks as have been identified on other internal walls.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

I'd patch up the plaster and leave it.

In an old house, original features add to the value.

Sponsored Links
What about the current cement between the brick, thats the biggest problem.

They can replaster but they said guaranteed within 1-2 years cracks will reappear.

Is there anythig I can advise the builder to make the current old brick work stronger?

Also another thing. The builders were unable to retaining the coving on the ceiling.

I am skeptical if in reality they could save it?

They can replaster but they said guaranteed within 1-2 years cracks will reappear.

Have they quoted you for traditional 2-coat plastering (ie a browning coat and finish) or are they using plasterboard and skim (aka 'dot-and-dab' method)?

The former WILL crack if applied directly to the brickwork and timber, but the latter shouldn't.

(as mentioned before, keep a close eye on this because £400 is un-realistic)

They are using plasterboard and skim method.

£200 per wall was due to size of the project (rear extension , 2 bathrooms and finishing of 5 other rooms), so im sure they aint really loosing much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back