1930's Semi, is it worth keeping the plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1930's semi
Front ground floor, will be stripping wall with chimney for sound proofing.
Most likely will take walls back to brick and a few echo's when kncocking.
So, is it worth trying to keep the coving, or can I get nice replacements, including the curved bay (will that be hard to plaster??)

hopefully you can see in my photo

Sponsored Links
1930's semi
Front ground floor, will be stripping wall with chimney for sound proofing.
Most likely will take walls back to brick and a few echo's when kncocking.
So, is it worth trying to keep the coving, or can I get nice replacements, including the curved bay (will that be hard to plaster??)

hopefully you can see in my photo

You are joking with the cove, yeh?

You can try and keep the coving, I cannot remember any project I've been on where it has survived walls being hacked off. I do know you can get a template made of whats there and have new coving cast as a replica of the original, last time I was involved on a project where this was done iirc it cost £200 to make the mould and £20 per linear meter to produce install, the last was a few years ago now and I have never seen a curved one done. You would have to presume that it would need to be cast in place. If the coving starts coming away you may well start loosing your ceiling too.

if you want to hack off the chimney wall and keep the coving you could use an angle grinder to cut the plaster below the coving before you start hacking, or you could just take off the coving on that wall and have just that part replaced after you have soundproofed, i see no reason to strip the coving from the whole room, why do you want to start messing with the rest of the room ? it looks fine to me.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the replies.

I may try the angle grinder approach.
I'm opening up the wall between front and back rooms and was worried that no matter how delicate I was being, it might end up cracking and falling off.

Here goes nothing :)

Cheers for the replies.

I may try the angle grinder approach.
I'm opening up the wall between front and back rooms and was worried that no matter how delicate I was being, it might end up cracking and falling off.

Here goes nothing :)

NOOOOO don't use an angle grinder!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all probability this was run in situ. You need to chop it out with a scutch.

Cut a line about 12inch down from the cove but just go about half way through the lime plaster, then start hacking the wall off from the bottom up until you reach the cut, then it's just a matter of taking your time if you want to take it all the way upto the cove.

You won't be able to replace it but it can be repaired if you get crack or if sections fall off, it's not too difficult to do and won't cost the earth. If you need advice repairing the cove let us know when you have knocked the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back