1960's Crash Tests of Old BMC Motors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
25, 30 and 35mph.

Frightening.

See the interior intrusion in the Mini...

You think you might be better off in a bigger motor?

Look at the damage to the 1800 after the 35mph crash. Like a banana...:eek:

No wonder so many died in comparatively low speed accidents.

Sponsored Links
Ouch!
And they were all straight head on. No testing of corner crashing, i.e. front offside headlight to same on approaching obstacle.

Sponsored Links
goodness gracious! that was a total disaster with Commodore! It wa s a dummy driving it no wonder!

Never heard so much hogwash about the Holden/Opel Commodore. It's the same car as sold here in late 70s to mid 80s as the MK I/II Vauxhall Carlton or Opel Rekord. Anyone who knows these cars knows they are tough as old boots, not like the BMC stuff like minis and 1100s. I have owned several, and still drive a 1986 model now. Modern cars have much less substantial construction than these cars to scrape through the fraudulent/skewed fuel economy tests of today.

It's blindingly obvious that that the Commodore test was not a standard test, and was designed as sensationalism for whatever reason. Firstly, it was loaded with 375 Kg /827 lb of sand, then driven at almost 70mph a solid concrete wall. Bears no relation at all to either industry standard tests or any real-world accidents. Any car, ancient or modern, would also be demolished in a similar way by such a pointless, skewed test. The BMC tests were mild by comparison and follow set standards of the time.

This is the write up from the Youtube video -

"Special testing of new facility in 1992. Car was loaded with 375 Kg /827 lb of sand and was 100Kmh into a solid wall not alloy honeycomb. Not a real test of the car." a test crash of the holden commadore this is an old model so you will not find anything on google about it (i checked)

Last edited:
I used to own a '79 Opel Rekord: PMA 705V

Great solid car with good performance even though it was an auto.

I always lusted after an Opel Monza when I was younger...

It is amazing what damage you can do if you drive it fast enough into something hard enough....

I used to own a '79 Opel Rekord: PMA 705V

Great solid car with good performance even though it was an auto.

Yes, they were great cars. Well built and simple, just like the Mrs. The MK 1 Rekords were reckoned to be slightly better build quality than Carltons, as they were built in Germany at the Opel factory. Strangely, although the MK 1 Carltons were almost identical, they were built in Luton. When the MK2 facelift Carltons with plastic bumpers (as in the grey car in my pics) came out, they were then produced at the German Opel factory as well.

Bizarrely, when production ended, they were made in Korea for their own market by Daewoo as the Royale Prince 1500. But then, Daewoo was a subsidiary of GM. They put a 1500cc lump in instead of the 2000/2200cc Opels/Vauxhalls, which wouldn't have exactly set the tarmac alight.

Sponsored Links
Back