1961 Apartment Block and Building Regs Compliance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

If an apartment block, built in 1961 and therefor exempt from present building regulations, has some work done then will that work have to be building regs compliant?

I know that if a new roof is put on then that will need to comply with building regulations but what if, say, somebody (a window cleaner) said it was a good idea to cut around 500mm off the bottom of the downpipes so that they can be rodded and a couple of the committee members were dead keen on doing it?

The downpipes currently discharge directly into a gully which is by chance compliant with current regs. Cutting 500mm off them is not only the wrong thing to do but would mean the building is now LESS compliant than it was before. Would Building Control have something to say on that? I haven't been able to get an answer from them yet.

Any help appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
I finally managed to get hold of somebody in Building Control so will post the outcome in case it helps somebody else.

No, the work would not have to comply with current building regs. Building Control would not advise it because, frankly, it would be a stupid thing to do but wouldn't get involved.

If it were changes to a thermal element i.e. a new roof then that would need to comply with current regs such as insulation that complies.

In general, repair and maintenance work isn't required to comply to current Building Regs, but the repair should not be less compliant than the original work.

If you cut out a section of the downipe so it can be rodded (why???) then surely you can put the section back with a coupler after the rodding? Why not cut out a section of the pipe and fit a proper rodding eye?

Sponsored Links
In general, repair and maintenance work isn't required to comply to current Building Regs, but the repair should not be less compliant than the original work.

If you cut out a section of the downipe so it can be rodded (why???) then surely you can put the section back with a coupler after the rodding? Why not cut out a section of the pipe and fit a proper rodding eye?

Exactly. Or just remove the bottom bracket and slide out the bottom length of pipe. Unnecessary work and just wrong. But then that's what happens when people who know nothing bit like to pretend they do, listen to a window cleaner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back