1979 hot water cylinder - worth changing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

The hot water cylinder in my house is an indirect copper cylinder which was installed in 1979. It's in good order and has plenty of after market insulation on it.

I am just wondering if you knowledgable plumbers think swapping to a new L1b compliant cylinder would have any drastic effect on energy consumption in terms of reheat times compared to the 1979 model?

Or would it be a pathetic and wasteful exercise?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
If ts working and not leaking leave it alone! It isn't worth changing.

Whilst a newer cylinder may heat up more quickly it won't save energy in doing so, because the boiler will be working harder, but for a shorter period of time.

Hot water leaves the boiler, heat is transferred to the hot water cylinder and then the water flows back to the boiler to have the lost heat replaced. The more heat lost, the more the boiler has to replace.

Better insulation my help save energy, but it won't be that much if your cylinder already has good insulation, and it's only really applicable in the summer, because during the winter any heat lost will contribute towards heating your home anyway. (unless the cylinder is in the loft)

So I agree with denso13

How old is your boiler and other system components? Changing one thing on a system for new will put a new strain on the other parts... it's something we plumbers have to contend with all the time :sick:

Sponsored Links
The rest of the system was updated in 2006. Glow-worm/BG330 condensing boiler on an S plan etc. The cylinder wasn't changed that's all. I shall leave it as it is!

Thanks for the responses.

The rest of the system was updated in 2006. Glow-worm/BG330 condensing boiler on an S plan etc. The cylinder wasn't changed that's all. I shall leave it as it is!

Thanks for the responses.

You've jinxed it now!
It'll pack up right smack bang in the middle of a cold snap :eek:

It's been ok for ten years with only a condense syphon replaced in that time. If it goes it goes...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back