1991/1992 Ford Fiesta - altenator/battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 18 yr old son has a J reg Fiesta. It hasn't been driven for 2 years but has been started now and again. The battery light was staying on so we replaced the Altenator, the light didn't go off but was very faint. So as the car had not been used for 2 years we replaced the battery. But the light still wont go out. Anyone have any suggestions. Also the bulb to the battery indicator has blown, does anyone know how to get to the bulbs.

Grateful for any help. Tks

Sponsored Links
can you give a bit more info,you say the battery light is on and the battery indicator has blown? this doesnt make much sense

yesterday when my husband was trying to fix it, and couldnt, the light was staying on, faintly, but then it completely went out and doesnt even come on when the car starts up so he thinks the bulb has blown.

Has he pulled the wire off the alternator?
What voltage do you have across the battery when the engine is running?

Sponsored Links
Spark sorry dont know and hubby not here at the moment will reply back when he gets home tks very much

Spark, my husband says there are no loose wires and the voltage going across the battery is 12.2 its the same when the engine is running or not. Were thinking that although it is a new altenator it must be a faulty one. Wots your opinion. Ts

Sounds like something is wrong as there should be about 14v there when the battery is charging. Most likely suspect is the alternator but there is also a chance that something else may also be to blame and the alternator is not being told to charge. How many and what colour wires are on the back of the alternator? Please can you give more detail on the model of car, is it Zetec? Is there a blue wire on the back of the alternator? If so what voltage (measured against alternator body) is on this when the ignition is on but the engine is not running?

Spark, my hubby will check the wiring tomorrow as its dark tonight. The car is a J reg Ford Fiesta. 1.1. he says what should the voltage be. Tks for your help its really appreciated.

CH - will check the fuses tomorrow also. Many thanks.

The blue wire should be connected to the alternator warning lamp. The other side of the lamp should be connected to 12v via a fuse. If you see approximately battery voltage then the lamp is intact. I'm not sure on what else is connected to this system so connecting it directly to the chassis to see if the light comes on may not be a good idea, maybe someone else knows?

Spark, Luke & ch :D

Tks for help, we have found the fault it was the cables going from the altenator to assisted starter, they were practically burnt out. We have replaced them. Touching the blue wire to the body brought the battery light on on the dash. That told us the wiring was faulty.

It was great that you were trying to help we really appreciated it my hubby said it was your comments that got him thinking and trying things so well done your great. :D

Sponsored Links
Back