1995 fiat punto water pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps i recently fitted a new water pump and cam belt to my 1.1 fiat punto,three days later the teeth on the belt are totally stripped ,after investigation i realised i had put the wrong pump on, it had to many teeth 24 instead of 20, my question is there are two types of belt one with 104 teeth which was on the car the other has 125 teeth ,does anyone know weather i could just fit the belt with 125 teeth or will i have to swop pumps.
any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would recommend that you use the original size pump and belt.....a bigger pump won't have the correct pitch for the belt teeth, and a much longer belt would be difficult to tension correctly.
Here's hoping there's been no valve damage when the belt gave up!
John :)

Thanks John for your quick reply and advice i will start again with the correct pump cheers.

Do check the belt teeth profile, will you.....they should fit perfectly around the pump teeth.
Hope the job goes well! Off to do one on a Mazda this afternoon.

Sponsored Links
I think that you don't normally spoil the engine when the cam belt fails on the basic Punto.

They also say they are very easy to change too.

Tony

That is correct, Tony......it is (supposed) to be a freewheeling engine, and one of the more convenient aspects is that the crankshaft pulley has 3 bolts rather than one large bolt, which makes it easier to remove.
I have had the odd interference engine with a snapped belt which had survived but that is unusual!

fitted the correct pump and belt today ,started first time and no engine damage.
thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Back