1st UPVC window fit any tips..?

JSD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi below is the current set up, ordered a 710mm x 710mm due soon, but any tips from seasoned fitters/diyers appreciated.

And what of the art of packing the window and just using expander foam ?

Is that a bodge too far or an often used method for small windows ?

Any tips appreciated...

Pic of window to be replaced. Hoping it's a bish bosh, pack n foam and a couple frame fixers... ?

Sponsored Links
New frame arrived today, frame is in . Just need some foam as old tin seized up !! :)

Anyhow, it's going alright. I took the bottom beading / glass out to drill for some fixers and low and behold, no plastic or rubber mallet to tap the beads back in......

After a bit of swearing, and asking the wife is she has a rubber mallet, (well you never know..... we did have one knocking about a couple years back... ) I thought ok need something rubber/ low impact to improvise to tap these bloody beads back in..

The wife came up trumps with a wooden Pestle . And I flipped the claw hammer around and used the rubber stock on the handle to tap the thin end of the wooden pestle on the bead.

Tap tap tap........ this buggers going in .......... :p

Anyhow all glassed up , just needs the outside sorting .. might put some render on the outside tomorrow, while waiting for foam stuff to turn up.. then I'll pump that from the inside.

Anyone else got any other tips if one should not locate a rubber/plastic hammer to tackle beads.... ? Apart from get a pro fitter in ...

Rub some fairy liquid etc onto the gasket and the area of the bead which clips into the frame because it's all dry the friction causes the bead to be a lot harder to put in so you should be able to use your hand to thumb it in place, it's worked for me in the past.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips . Will put them to good use in the knowledge bank ..

Used filler foam from inside and that stuff is great. Rock solid / airtight ..

Kept on expanding for a good 40 minutes or so after squirting in.

Confident I can replace a couple other windows this year or next , and also have some 8 footers to ' think about ' .

Fancy replacing those with full height folding doors. But a way off that in terms of time money yet..

Will pop a pic of of window when room completed.

Cheers again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back