2.3m Deep Foundations alternatives

How about everyone have a look at Shire piling?

A hand held auger? no fancy rigs, no heavy machinery, just two Guys an auger head, extension's and a hand electrical drill, Shire will even give calculations to satisfy your B/C

May be a cheaper option?

Glad we do not have Shrinkable Clay up here in the far frozen north, we do have peat, mines and a load of buildings built on fill

Ken.

Sponsored Links
@RonnyRaygun you have already saved me £1000s with your suggestions.

Would it be possible to find out the local soil plasticity? You might save a bit of digging if the soil is medium or low plasticity.

Are the trees mature? If less than 50% of mature height, could they be cut down and the current height used to determine depths?

The neighbours have agreed to me cutting down the eucalyptus so building control are asking for 2m throughout.

I now have a plasticity test booked to see if I can shave off even more from the depth.

Thank you so much

@RonnyRaygun you have already saved me £1000s with your suggestions.

Would it be possible to find out the local soil plasticity? You might save a bit of digging if the soil is medium or low plasticity.

Are the trees mature? If less than 50% of mature height, could they be cut down and the current height used to determine depths?

The neighbours have agreed to me cutting down the eucalyptus so building control are asking for 2m throughout.

I now have a plasticity test booked to see if I can shave off even more from the depth.

Thank you so much
Glad it's saved you a bit. Shame the Poplar is also having a major effect on depths - I take it this one is mature and / or unable to be removed?
You can still save another 250mm of digging if you get confirmation of a medium volume change soil.

Glad it's saved you a bit. Shame the Poplar is also having a major effect on depths - I take it this one is mature and / or unable to be removed?
You can still save another 250mm of digging if you get confirmation of a medium volume change soil.

Thanks, I will update when I get the results back. Fingers firmly crossed.

Sponsored Links

Thanks, I will update when I get the results back. Fingers firmly crossed.

Results back today. Showing a PI of 16% at the bottom of the trench which is a real (good) shock. Test results sent to BC so hoping they got out of bed the right side today....

Signed off by building regs. @ 1.7m . Builders extremely pleased digging is over and concrete pump arrives tomorrow. Will be glad to see the back of my moat. Thanks once again RonnyRaygun. You have saved me over £3000.

Signed off by building regs. @ 1.7m . Builders extremely pleased digging is over and concrete pump arrives tomorrow. Will be glad to see the back of my moat. Thanks once again RonnyRaygun. You have saved me over £3000.
Where do I send my invoice? ;)

PS. Don't forget your Claymaster on the inner face of your trenches.

Last edited:
Where do I send my invoice? ;)

PS. Don't forget your Claymaster on the inner face of your trenches.

Building regs said Claymaster not required due to PI reading. Should I be worried?

If you've got low volume change soil then you don't need claymaster - you do with medium. I guess you've got low if building control are saying claymaster isn't required.

16% is usually low shrinkable. I've found there is quite a price difference between claymaster and clay boards. The clay board makers claim their's is a more better product, but I've always used claymaster.

16% is usually low shrinkable. I've found there is quite a price difference between claymaster and clay boards. The clay board makers claim their's is a more better product, but I've always used claymaster.
Yeah, 16% is low. Didn't notice it stated in the post above.

Would it be cheaper and quicker for me to pay for an engineer and get some pile foundations? The builder has quoted an additional £7500 for 7 skips, labour etc to give an idea of the costs I am facing.
I may be too late but don't get skips, if possible buy 6 sheets of 18mm OSB, put them out the front and chuck the excavation soil on them, then get a grab lorry to pick up, they can be the equivalent of 4-5 skips @ £120 a skip and I got a grab lorry for £210.
regards Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back