2 gang 2 way intermediate switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i may have bought the wrong switches but wanted to check whether I can use them.
At the start of the hallway I have a switch for the lights and I've used an intermediate switch and this works fine.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-10ax-intermediate-switch-polished-chrome/52431

At the end of the hallway I was going to use a 2 gang 2 way switch to again control the hallway lights (left switch) and the lights for the kitchen (right switch).
How should I wire these in or can I not use an intermediate switch for this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The switch shown is a two-way as required for two way switching, which is what you have described. They can also be used as a one-way switch by using the comm and L1 terminals.

I'm confused.

At the start of the hallway I have a switch for the lights and I've used an intermediate switch and this works fine.
Yup.

At the end of the hallway I was going to use a 2 gang 2 way switch to again control the hallway lights (left switch) and the lights for the kitchen (right switch).
OK.

How should I wire these in

t2565752.jpg

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:two-way-lighting

or can I not use an intermediate switch for this?
But you aren't using an intermediate:
At the end of the hallway I was going to use a 2 gang 2 way switch

And the photo is not of an intermediate - it's a 2-way.

But generally yes - you can always use a switch as "the next one down", i.e. an intermediate can be used as a 2-way or 1-way, and a 2-way can be used as a 1-way.

t2565752.jpg

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:intermediate#using-2-way-and-3-way-switches-as-1-way-or-2-way

ok - good to know I've got the right switch for this then.

What i'm confused over is that the first switch in the hallway only has 1 blue and 1 brown which I wired as per the wiki. I would have thought there should have been another wire for the 2 way switching to work.
The second switch only has 4 wires...

Sponsored Links
How could you have wired the switch 'as per the wiki' if you do not have enough wires?

Who put the connector on that brown wire and why?

How could you have wired the switch 'as per the wiki' if you do not have enough wires?

Blue in L1 and Brown in L2 of the intermediate switch at the start of the hallway. This switch is working and turns the hall lights on and off.

Who put the connector on that brown wire and why?
The electrician - he did the wiring but didn't fit the switches so i'm assuming it was so there are no live wires projecting out the wall.

Maybe it is just trick photography, what size is the wire? The lives look a whole chunk bigger than the earths.

I don't understand how two wires connected to an intermediate works either.

Maybe it is just trick photography, what size is the wire? The lives look a whole chunk bigger than the earths.

Yeah, it looks like 2.5/ 1.0mm², but it can't be because it's harmonised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back