2 gang 2 way wiring help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 1 light downstairs, and another upstairs. At the moment, every swith in the hall way turn on all the lights.

I want to replace these with a double switch, so I can seperate the downstairs light with the upstairs light.

I have tried for a few hours to get it working, the closest I have got is the downstairs light being constantly on, and the upstairs light turning off and on.

I have supplied some images of what wires are coming out of the wall, and the double switch that I have

Any help is much appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Im not sure if this helps, but the downstairs light has the following wires coming out of the ceiling..

red
yellow with red sleeves
blue
green and yellow

Sponsored Links
You should send photos of the wiring at every light and every switch in the hall and landing, and label each one.

Also, do you have access above the landing ceiling?

It may be easy-ish to achieve what you want, but installing new cables is very likely.

ok..

Switch 1) is by the front door. I do not want to change this, the middle switch turns on both the up and downstair lights...

Switch 2) is at the bottom of the stairs, this is one of the switches I want to change so it can switch the up and downstairs lights seperately.

Switch 3) is at the top of the stairs, again this is one of the switches I want to change so it can switch the up and downstairs lights seperately.

(both switch 2 and 3 are wired exactly the same)

Switch 4) is outside my bedroom, and I do not want to change it.

So to summarise, only switch 2 and 3 need changing.

At switch 1, you say the middle switch does the hall and landing.

Are you certain it's not the lefthand one?

Yep the middle switch can't do these lights. Unless of course you've already been tinkering here....?

You are both correct. It is the left switch that is controlling the hallway lights. Both upstairs and downstairs.

PLAN A:
  • Learn how lighting circuits are wired and how switches work.//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting
  • Get a multimeter and learn how to use it.
  • Identify which conductors are which at the switches.
  • Install new cabling as necessary to provide control over individual lights.
  • Connect them all up properly.
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back