2 gang 2 way wiring - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am trying to fit a new 2 gang light switch (downstairs hall). One switch is connected to the light at the top of the stairs so that it could be turned off and on from either downstairs or upstairs.

The picture of the wires and the backpanel of the light switch is attached. I would appreciate if you could advise how this will be connected.

Thanks in advance.
View media item 79081 View media item 79082

Sponsored Links
Here we go.

The red wire which is looped into 2 will be the live.
This will connect to the bottom two terminals.

The black wire of that cable will goto a top terminal of the switch you want to control the diwnstairs light.

The other cable should be connected to the switch to control the upstairs light.
And are the strapper wires

Sponsored Links
Yes, but there are effectively 3 live wires. 2 which are in loop (2 ends coming from one wire) and one separate live wire.

The other cable should be connected to the switch to control the upstairs light.
And are the strapper wires

By cable, Andy means both the black and red go to the 2 terminals at the top of the switch for the landing.

Yes, but there are effectively 3 live wires. 2 which are in loop (2 ends coming from one wire) and one separate live wire.

No - there are effectively 3 RED wires. 2 which are in loop (2 ends coming from one wire) and one separate RED wire.

Only the looped one is permanently Live.

They will ALL be live at times when switched on.

OK. Thanks for your help and apologies if I am being a bit thick.

I attach 2 pictures with this post.

The first one is for the switch downstairs. The second one is for the upstairs switch.

With this configuration, the downstairs light is working but the wrong way. If the switch is off position, it is on and vice versa.

The upstairs light is not working at all (neither from below or upstairs).

What do I do now?

View media item 79097 View media item 79096

The two commons ( marked C ) on the switch have to be connected together and to the live supply. That live supply is the red with the two bare sections

The black from the cable with the live goes to L1 on the switch that controls the downstairs lamp. This is a switched live.

The black from the other cable goes to L2 on the switch that controls the upstairs lamp. The red from this cable goes to L1 on the switch that controls the upstairs lamp. This red and red are both switched lives and are know as strappers as they strap togethe the two switches that control the upstairs lamp.

From the top picture.

Remove the red at bottom left and move it up to the spare terminal above it.
Now, somehow you have not followed the clear instructions above.

You have stuffed three wires into one terminal at the bottom right.
You should have two reds (that is the loop) in one of the bottom terminals. That should leave you with a red wire and that goes to the left hand bottom terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back