2 gang light switch to operate two outside lights seperatly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Apologies if this already on the Wiki....

On my outside lights I have two 1 gang switches fed from the ceiling rose (one for the outside toilet, and one for the rear garden light) What I want to do is change the garden light 1 gang switch for a 2 gang switch where the left one would operate the rear garden light and the right one would operate a new front garden light.

Looking at the wiring in the one gang switch for the garden light it is wired as follows: the earths are connected together in a clear plastic terminal block. The neutrals are all connected together in another clear plastic terminal block and the live from the feed goes into the common terminal and the live from the lamp goes into L2.

What I was thinking I could replace the 1 gang with a 2 gang and wire the rear garden lamp into one of the gangs as above then I would join the earths and neutrals from the new lamp into the relevant clear plastic terminal blocks then I would take a small piece of cable and link the two common terminals on the gangs together and then put my live from the new lamp into L2 on the other gang.

Is it ok to do this?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back