2 Gang Switch on Single face Plate to 2 lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon. So we have just recently moved into a new home. Im trying to sort out our living room light switching but Im stuck.

So we have to ceiling lights in the living room that are controlled by a sigle plate 2 gang switch. BUT only one switch works and it switches BOTH lights on and off. I want to wire it so each switch controls its own light.

There is only one set of wires coming from the wall

Blue, Red & Yellow and an earth going to the wall bracket

Any help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
So we have to ceiling lights in the living room that are controlled by a sigle plate 2 gang switch. BUT only one switch works and it switches BOTH lights on and off.
That makes sense. Only one of the switches is actually 'connected' and it looks as if the two lights have been joined together.

It looks as if you probably need to move either the blue or yellow wire to the (currently unused) Li terminal of the other switch. If the switches then work the 'wrong' lights, swap the blue and yellow.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks very much mate. That was the problem

Sponsored Links
Everything is there, I cannot think why it was not wired properly in the first place. Perhaps the missing screw in the L2 terminal of the right hand switch is a clue.
Often, people swop their nice switches for not-so-nice ones when they move out. Maybe that's another reason.

One thing you must do: the switch plate MUST be connected to earth.*
Either move the earth cable from the back box to the earth terminal on the front plate, or add a short piece of earth wire from the back box to the frone plate.

*if the earth is missing on this switch, it may be worth checking others in the house too!

Thanks for that mate. Will sort that ASAP. The reason I think they moved both light to one switch is that the other switch was playing up. After removing the plate I managed to sort it. Really appreciate the help here

One thing you must do: the switch plate MUST be connected to earth.... Either move the earth cable from the back box to the earth terminal on the front plate, or add a short piece of earth wire from the back box to the frone plate.
It seems that I can't win around here :) Whenever I tell someone that they must do that (which is certainly what I would do myself), someone jumps in and says that earthing the face place via the screws is adequate/acceptable - which is why I didn't mention it in this case!

Kind Regards, John

My understanding is that using the faceplate screws to earth the box is considered ok (subject to the box having at least one fixed lug) but using them to earth the plate is not.

someone jumps in and says that earthing the face place via the screws is adequate/acceptable
Who has ever stated that for a Class I accessory? Because anyone who did is completely wrong, incompetent and giving dangerous advice.

My understanding is that using the faceplate screws to earth the box is considered ok (subject to the box having at least one fixed lug) but using them to earth the plate is not.
To be frank, I wouldn't personally be particularly comfortable with either ... but are there actually any regulations that refer explicitly to either practice?

Kind Regards, John

It seems that I can't win around here :) Whenever I tell someone that they must do that (which is certainly what I would do myself), someone jumps in and says that earthing the face place via the screws is adequate/acceptable - which is why I didn't mention it in this case!

Kind Regards, John
But at no point have I mentioned earthing via the plate screws. And I never would.
#confusedface

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back