2 Plumbers To Brittony Combi, and Still No CH!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be visiting my daughter, who lives at the other end of the country from me. She has relied on 2 different plumbers, who seem to be trying to get as much money out of her as possible, by trying to sell powerflushes and Magnacleans, even though her Ch is still not working, but her HW is OK.

Her Brittony combi stopped heating the rads when the pressure relief pipe started blowing water outside. The first plumber changed the PRV, which stopped the water escaping, but still no CH

The second plumber left the system pressure at 3 Bar, and suggested a powerflush and Magnaclean to get the ch working.

I'm going to have a look myself. Is it likely that there is a fault with the expansion vessel? Can anyone suggest anything I should try? I fail to see what a powerflush and Magnaclean will achieve, if the ch doesn't work.

Sponsored Links
3 bar FFS, it should be approx 1 bar cold and rise to approx 2 bar or less hot,
sounds like the expansion vessel either needs re-charging or replacing, press the pin in the middle of the schreider valve, if water comes out the vessel has had it, if nothing comes out then pressure it up to approx .5 to .75 bar with a drain valve open on the heating, then re-pressurise guage to 1 bar.

Then start looking into why the CH not working, I would check the diverter valve for starters, that is after checking prog and stat are calling.

Best outfit to fix a boiler is British Gas if they are still doing the fixed price deal. Well trained, good parts availability, gets it done. Yer average local lad knows how to put them in, service them but not fix them.

However British Gas also seem to make the top of the list of worst outfit to put a boiler in, though generally because of price. And they come about bottom of the list in everything else they do I would say.

IMO of course.

Best outfit to fix a boiler is British Gas if they are still doing the fixed price deal. Well trained, good parts availability, gets it done. Yer average local lad knows how to put them in, service them but not fix them.

IMO of course.

:LOL:

Your opinion is obviously worthless.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help so far.

When I get there, is there any way to test the diverter? I have a multimeter. Is there anything I should look for on it? Can I operate it manually?

Last resort. Will tapping it sometimes free it?

It worries me somewhat that you feel that you are likely to have a better chance of fixing the boiler then a boiler engineer.

I appreciate however that you have only called plumbers so far.

In this rather rare instance I dont think saving money is your prime motive but I might be wrong though.

It makes me wonder how you selected these plumbers to call.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back