2 questions, about a shower and about how to remove silvered dome-top fixings in chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a couple of questions about some things I inherited in a bathroom.
First there's some boxing-in done with faced chipboard, but the fixings won't come loose - see pic below. I always thought you just turned these but they're solid and I don't know how you guys deal with them. Do I just grip them (if I can, given they're smooth and rounded) with pliers/moles or something, or is there a technique to it? Thanks.

Second question is about a shower in the bathroom - a Mira Sport fed from a header tank. Quite a decent shower by rep, I believe? It tends to be very cool with a decent flow-rate. If I turn up the temp the flow rate drops to being what I feel is below acceptable.
Am I right thinking that as it can produce a decent flow rate at low temps then it's not anything about the plumbing that's the problem, so it must be the shower's ability to heat enough water quickly, so the only solution would be to buy a higher-kW shower? Or do plumbers know of other ways to improve it? Thanks again, I do appreciate the help you guys give.
109774-ba32a5189356d5d97dc7319f455d7282.jpg

Sponsored Links
Wash your hands thoroughly then undo anti-clockwise however if you must use grips they are easily replaced.

Any shower can only raise the temp of the cold water, by a given amount - dictated by it's KW rating at a corresponding flow rate. In winter the incoming water tempo drops so you need to lower the flow through the shower to achieve the same desired temperature rise so drops the output.

The higher the KW, the greater L/min it can deliver at the expected temperature but even at 10.5kw, their output drops noticeably in the winter, such is the inherent issue with electric showers, especially in the winter.

Sponsored Links
Check the wiring can cope with a higher rated shower before buying one.
Good tip, thanks! I'd have gone ahead and assumed that domestic wiring would cope with a domestic shower....and then maybe regretted it later when I thought about it and realised that not all domestic wiring is to the same standard. Cheers just pumps.

It's all about the current draw of the shower. 9.5Kw and higher needs 40A+, so a 10mm mains cable running direct to the DP shower switch on to the shower and at least a 45A MCB in the consumer unit. The cable and MCB upgrade can actually cost as much as the shower :eek:

Those fixings are just caps that screw into special screws

If they are hard to turn, slip on a marigold glove

It's all about the current draw of the shower. 9.5Kw and higher needs 40A+, so a 10mm mains cable running direct to the DP shower switch on to the shower and at least a 45A MCB in the consumer unit. The cable and MCB upgrade can actually cost as much as the shower :eek:
Thanks Madrab, I'll check those things. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back