2 radiators not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new here, so hello all!

Radiator 1) my radiator in my living room doesn't work, although one of the pipes running to it seems to contain warm(ish) water, the valve is set to 5 on the "Westherm" valve and I've given it a bit of a smack about to see if it gets working, but it turns up and down fine. I can bleed it and the water comes out cold.

Radiator 2) This one is in the hall just behind the front door and has recently been working, but now doesn't get warm, and has older looking valves, both of which I've turned to the maximum.

can anyone advise on either radiator please? I am a complete novice but willing to try stuff to get them sorted. I just fear I have "sludge" in my system which is clogging them up.

Sponsored Links
You are probably right is your diagnosis. Can you take the rads into the garden to flush them?

You may well have sludge but 1st remove the trv heads and check the pin fully extends and check the valve on the other end as well.Have you tried turning all other rads off and seeing if that has any effect?

derekpotter";p="1811404 said:
Remove the heads from the TRVs by unscrewing the knurled nut that holds it on the valve, you will see a pin on the valve that should move up and down when you press down on it, if this does not happen it means that the pin is stuck down. By using a broad flat screwdriver press down on this pin as hard as you can and then let the screwdriver slip off of the pin. Keep doing this and the pin should eventually spring up so that it will move up and down.

Regards

spraggo

Sponsored Links
You are probably right is your diagnosis. Can you take the rads into the garden to flush them?

I would have absolutely no idea how to do this, not something i'd attempt on my own I'm afraid, I daren't even twist these valves normally in case they leak etc! :oops: although I'm getting annoyed with having no heating now!

Thanks for the advice though!

spraggo";p="1811452 said:
Remove the heads from the TRVs by unscrewing the knurled nut that holds it on the valve, you will see a pin on the valve that should move up and down when you press down on it, if this does not happen it means that the pin is stuck down. By using a broad flat screwdriver press down on this pin as hard as you can and then let the screwdriver slip off of the pin. Keep doing this and the pin should eventually spring up so that it will move up and down.

Regards

spraggo

right......thanks for that, I shall give it a go. First battle is to remove the heads from the valves.

As above, or, if the pins are ok, its probally sludge. If its 8mm microbore pipe, very likely, or it might be blocked at the inlet. Removal of both valvle will confrm if there is a blockage going to or from the rad. if it its sludge, you can go down the cheap route, flush it out a couple of times using a propriety system cleaner then fitting something like a spirovent to catch any new crap, or go the whole hog and get a powerflush and filter before it gets any worse.

But, if the pipe is gettng warm up to the valve, then its very likley just the valve. Sticking pins are very common, although getting a filter fitted would do no harm!

.Have you tried turning all other rads off and seeing if that has any effect?

yep tried that one cheers.

One question: If I was to get a brand new boiler, would a powerflush be included in the price of the fitting? (I've been quoted £300 labour over two days then the cost of whatever boiler i want on top of that)

Most likely not!

To do a proper powerflush (with machine, chemicals etc etc) would take me approx a day, give or take depending on the size of house/number of rads. As above, if you get one done, thats the time to fit a filter at the same time (spirovent, magnaclean etc etc).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back