2 story extension - acoustic concrete floors?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of getting a 2 story extension done. It will be a living room with a bedroom above. So, rather than standard wooden floor for the first floor, i was thinking it might be sensible to have a concrete floor, beams with blocks. I see that you can even buy acoustic blocks now.

Is this solution likely to be much more expensive? Why arean't homes built like this in general? Apart from issue of running pipes etc, what else should I consider?

Thoughts please! The reason is mostly to allow use of living room at night with minimal disturbance to people trying to sleep upstairs (I do like my music on loud).

Sponsored Links
The concrete floor will have to be reinforced. Not only because it's acting as a beam, but also to control shrinkage cracking etc. while it sets.

How much stuff will be going into that room, how much does it weigh and what's the footprint of the room and is it square in plan? The reason I ask is because this will determine the type of reinforcement and whether you need an expansion joint. Let's just hope it's not required and I'll be very surprised if anything greater than A393 mesh is required.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back