2 switches 1 light confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried to change the switches in my hallway as we have just redecorated, the new ones were slightly different to the old ones on the inside. i cannot seem to get them to behave and be in sink with each other , could anybody help

1st pic is the double switch for hall light and outside light
2nd pic is single switch for the hall light
3rd pic is the wiring for the single switch
4th pic is the wiring for the double switch, i know the ones on the right are for outside light as it works
5th pic is a bridge that came off the old socket, it was running from l1 to l1 on the previous old socket

Sponsored Links
Can you explain what is or isn't working as it was before?

The bridge or "link" will need to be wired up if it was wired up before.

outside light is working fine with red to L1 and black to com , i have tried a couple of combinations with the other switches, the best i could get was it working turning on and off but the single switch pic 2 and 3 had to be in the switched-on position for this to happen, i would put the old switches back on but i chucked them yesterday

Sponsored Links
I can't guarantee this as I'm not there to test but it sounds like on the single switch (assuming this is where the live feed enters the switching circuit) has a wire mixed up between common and L1 or L2.

This would create the situation where it has to be in a fixed position in order for the lamp to turn on and off using the other switch.

Like this

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 120
Sorry I'm thinking my way - separating it out onto the single circuits. It would appear the outside lamp is working fine and so therefore is not part of the problem.

Unless of course the live feed to the hallway lighting is coming from the outside light live via the "bridge" wire.

Yes, but even more confusion there.
If the bridge is to go from COM to COM, then he needs to swap over the red and black wires on the outside light switch.
So red goes in COM, black on L1.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back