2 Switches for 2 lights (2-way)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot find the answer to this on the net, so I'm here bothering you guys. I am wiring a new lighting circuit from a new fuseboard (f/b) for a new apartment. I know how to wire a standard 'loop-in' lighting circuit with cables from the f/b to the ceiling rose, then from each rose down to individual switches. However I am unsure as to how the circuit works when it comes to introducing a 2-way landing light and hallway light both operated from a switch downstairs and another switch upstairs. This will be the start of the new circuit.

Any help most appreciated, a simple diagram would be brilliant.

Thank you.

S.

Sponsored Links
All the diagrams you are likely to need are in the Wikki at the top of the forum but here is a link to them

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37582

Scroll down and you will find the two way circuit you are looking for.

I cannot see a diagram with 2 lights operated from 2 different switches, I did check this first. Thank you for responding, maybe you could tell me which one?

Thanks

S.

I am confused about two things:

1. What are you trying to do. Do you want to have a light in the hall another in the landing and for both of them can be switched from the hall or the landing. That means separate switches for each. (two gang, two way switches). or will both the hall and landing lights go on and off at the same time...??

2. This is really basic electrical stuff. Are you wiring up this apartment and providing the
new fuseboard
yourself.??

Sponsored Links
Sorry I missed the bit about two lights.

The way I would wire it would be to wire one lamp as per the two way switching for single lamp and then using twin and earth connect the second lamp to the first lamp. Brown wire connects the switched live at the first lamp to the switched live at the second lamp, blue wire connecting the neutrals. Earth to earth terminals. No other connections or cables to the second lamp.

Confusion often happens when the ceiling rose for the second lamp has had live and neutral looped through it and then the connection is made to the ceiling rose of another lamp that also has the live and neutral looped through it.

Sorry I missed the bit about two lights.

The way I would wire it would be to wire one lamp as per the two way switching for single lamp and then using twin and earth connect the second lamp to the first lamp. Brown wire connects the switched live at the first lamp to the switched live at the second lamp, blue wire connecting the neutrals. Earth to earth terminals. No other connections or cables to the second lamp.

Confusion often happens when the ceiling rose for the second lamp has had live and neutral looped through it and then the connection is made to the ceiling rose of another lamp that also has the live and neutral looped through it.

Thank you that makes sense. I connect the additional ceiling rose (the one that only has one connection to it - as you describe) by connecting the neutral (brown sleeve) next to the pendant live on both ceiling roses. The live goes in the nearest 'loop' connection closest to the live neutral that i've just connected at both ends also. Connect earth at either end and DONE. Have I got the wires in the right holes?

Thanks

S.

Thank you.

S.

I cannot find the answer to this on the net, so I'm here bothering you guys.
Don't.

Recognise the fact that you need to sub electrical work to someone who knows what he's doing, e.g. an electrician.

I am wiring a new lighting circuit from a new fuseboard (f/b) for a new apartment.
What do Building Control think is happening regarding the electrical work?

I know how to wire a standard 'loop-in' lighting circuit with cables from the f/b to the ceiling rose, then from each rose down to individual switches.
No you don't.

If you did then you wouldn't be here asking questions about such simple, basic, straightforward, easy and obvious stuff.

[EDIT]Typo corrected[/EDIT]

I think he is hopelessly and illegally out of his depth.

Much as I thought. It's worrying that after all that legislation there are still people with very little knowledge changing consumer units and carrying out other major works.

Its the wrong legislation then.. Another typical Blair/Brown/Prescott government solution to throw money at an initiative that has zero effect.

Is btb making money out of this work?

If so, which bit of DIYnot is he failing to understand?

Its the wrong legislation then.. Another typical Blair/Brown/Prescott government solution to throw money at an initiative that has zero effect.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but although the consultation document may have been issued in 2002, it contained the results of the Regulatory Impact Analysis (performed by Civil Servants, not politicians) which must have taken a while, and the first edition of Approved Document P (ditto).

And the whole process which led to the consultation document being issued kicked off in response to the Construction Industry Deregulation Task Force’s 1995 report which recommended amongst other things that the Building Regulations should address electrical safety and that the administrative burden on builders should be rationalised. The Government responded to these recommendations by agreeing to review the case for new requirements and how they might best be practically introduced.

Blair/Brown/Prescott were nothing to do with the Government in 1995, and between 1997 & 2002 there were a few other distractions, like handing back Hong Kong, wars in Kosovo & Afghanistan and the run-up to the 2nd Gulf one, Scottish & Welsh Devolution, House of Lords reform, Foot & Mouth crisis..., so it's not unreasonable for them to have not paid much attention to the chunterings of Civil Servants and quangos and industry Task Forces about extending the Building Regulations to require that electrical work in peoples homes be done reasonably safely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back