2 tiles displaced by wind

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On slanting roof three tiles from gutter . I need a quick fix to prevent rain water coming in . It is directly over bedroom ceiling. I can access from inside of attic/roof . Rain is due before roof repairer. Tnx very much 4 any advice.

Sponsored Links
Very hard to seal a roof from the inside and even a repair to limit the ingress will be harder near the gutter, shear volume of water.

Just do the best you can with bags and buckets.

Tnx terry. Is the roof constructed in such a way that there is a waterproof layer below tiles then some internal layer facing lining the attic? Basically i am hoping water will not fall 90 degrees through missing tile area and onto bedroom ceiling below.

What tiles are they? Large or small or slate?
How old is the property and is the roof original?
If you have a relatively new roof then a layer of felt will be under the tile/slate and will hinder any ingress.
If there's no felt then there will be an ingress, how much depends on the type of tile/slate covering you have.
The worst place to have a broken tile/slate is at the bottom of a roof as the deluge is greater than higher up.

Sponsored Links
Tiles r small. 60s local authority property. Roof is original. Two storey high. Cannot see if there is felt or not. I hope so. Moved tile is close to gutter level. ( bad news)

If the tiles have moved into the gutter or are loose on the roof then its a matter of some urgency to at least have them removed - they could be picked up in a gust of wind and sail away.

Dont as a DIY'er go up in any wet or windy weather - pay an insured roofer.

Unless you have had exceptional conditions then what state is the rest of the roof in?

If you have a soffit, a missing tile by the gutter won't let any water into the bedroom

Terry tiles not the same. Cannot get pic just yet. I hope not too much ingress too. Council will send smeone round friday am. Pity rain will start thurs midnight.

Ree. Roof is in good overall condition. Tried best to inform council that tiles are dangerously positioned hence friday or else 1 week. Flat is private but ex local authority and service charge/ building ins is with them. Got kids living in flat below too and have to walk below too.

Pls see pics. It may even be 4 tiles missing. Worried.

Attachments

• 20151122_100632.jpg
    20151122_100632.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 272
  • 20151122_100624.jpg
    20151122_100624.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 268
Are you going to get up there and do the work? I'm not sure the point of this post if the work is the responsibility of the council.

It looks like it's a scaffold job in any case.

That's a quick repair, no scaffold needed If roofer will work without it(we would considering size of job and time needed)

I agree with woody, why are you concerned if council are doing it?

That's a quick repair, no scaffold needed If roofer will work without it

The council's method statement will say otherwise. No work on roof tiles off ladders - especially on what looks like a three or four storey.

Was thinking of doing something from the inside to limit water coming in until repair cud b done. Private contractor considered. Council sent smeone round after a lot of pressure after 2days. Was told need scaffolding that needed authorisation( told them that over phone). No dates for that nor when repair will be done. Praying for no rain or snow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back