2 tiles displaced by wind

Sponsored Links
Sameday repair becomes 2 weeks with potential of further damage. They dont give a sh.......t.

You have to consider this:
This time of year is very busy for most roofers and the council won't have a resident roofer.

It's not hard to become a couple of weeks behind on your work schedule in the winter months.

The roofing company are probably reliant on the scaffold company diary.

Sponsored Links
So a £50(?)repair is now £350

Or perhaps a young roofer does not spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair because the OP doesn't want his wallpaper to get wet?

I agree, but these jobs have to be done and some repairs won't stand the cost of scaffold.

Ask any roofer, we've all taken the risk and still do.
It's part and parcel.

People will happily pay a mechanic £45 per hour to keep their car on the road but, they don't physically see value for money when it comes to roofs unlike their nice kitchens/bathrooms.

That's right. Everyone has their price.

From the councils perspective, having good safe working policies protects workers, but also protects the residents like the OP from the costs of the council paying out claims and increasing his service charges.

But yes the OP can pick up the phone on Monday and call a roofer who will come out, and put a ladder up for £50. That will keep his wallpaper dry for a bit.

On this occasion You don't need scaffold to create a safe working area, a bit of thought and common sense will suffice.
IMHO.

It's ironic that my worst injury whilst working on a roof was a direct cause of using scaffold. :)

On this occasion You don't need scaffold to create a safe working area,

The issue is not what you or I think, but the duty of a responsible employer.

Have you, for instance, seen any method statement from any employer that says you can do this type of work off a ladder?

I'd be surprised if any employer, any HSE officer or any court would consider a ladder to be the correct choice for working up and around a soffit working on tiles a few rows up the roof of 3/4 storey.

I think we are digressing now. Once it is fixed we can all move on. Tnx 4 contributions. Atb

On this occasion You don't need scaffold to create a safe working area,

The issue is not what you or I think, but the duty of a responsible employer.

Have you, for instance, seen any method statement from any employer that says you can do this type of work off a ladder?

I'd be surprised if any employer, any HSE officer or any court would consider a ladder to be the correct choice for working up and around a soffit working on tiles a few rows up the roof of 3/4 storey.

I totally agree with you woody, there has to be protection and safe working conditions for the employed. I wouldn't send anyone up ladders to do this job without scaffold but I would go up myself.

Not many of the paying public will accept the prices given when scaffold is added to the cost of small repairs.

We do a lot of roof repairs(small repairs, a couple of tiles etc.)that we wouldn't get if scaffold was charged for.

We do a lot of roof repairs

That's right. The criteria is different when working for homeowners. Price is a factor, and you have to make that commercial decision. But if things go wrong, then you will be judged by the same standards as any other large commercial firm.

The difference is that the homeowner will not be expected to devise a safe working method in the way that the OP's council or a large company would. The council or commercial client can be liable for accidents of those contractors it employs, so will put stricter policies in place.

The good thing is that if you are competing for commercial contracts, you should all be including for safe access methods, so it should be a level field in that respect.

I still see tenders where roofers (amongst others) have not allowed for safe access. And many times that is a bigger deciding factor than price alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back