2 Way Dimmer switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a Get plc dimmer switch from B&Q to install in my living room, where I currently have 2 switches wired as per the following diagram:

The instructions that came with the dimmer are as follows:

Instructions say:
Light line = Brown or Red
Dark line = Blue or Black
Striped line = Green and yellow

I have also purchased a retractive switch.

I cannot currently marry up my present wiring with the instructions that came with the dimmer. Both Get plc and B&Q have been unhelpful.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What colours cables have you got in the switch you are replacing with the dimmer and how many. Is any of them a 3 core cable. Please make a note of which wire goes to where before taking anything apart and ensure no power is connected. Can't see what the problem with the instructions is until you give us more info.

The instructions are absolutely fine, and tell you exactly what to do.

Nobody here is going to be able to tell you anything except "do what the instructions say"....

There is a 3 core and 2 core cable, wired identically to the first diagram.

The difficulty that I have is that I currently have 5 wires (excluding earth):

Red going to "COM"
Red and yellow going to "L1"
Blue and black going to "L2"

The instructions only provide for 4 cables within the dimmer: 2 red and 2 black or blue. I am uncertain which way around the blue / black wires should be and what happens to yellow.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Just follow the instructions....

From the looks of the dimmer instructions, all the switching is done by the dimmer unit, and the second (third and subsequent) switches just provide a 'pulse' to switch the dimmer on or off.

This is a completely different method of running 2-way switching to the setup you have at the moment, so it's not surprising that the two wiring diagrams don't correspond.

There is a 3 core and 2 core cable, wired identically to the first diagram.

The difficulty that I have is that I currently have 5 wires (excluding earth):

Red going to "COM"
Red and yellow going to "L1"
Blue and black going to "L2"
Why is that a difficulty?

What does 3+2=? :rolleyes:

The instructions only provide for 4 cables within the dimmer: 2 red and 2 black or blue. I am uncertain which way around the blue / black wires should be
They show which terminal is connected to which - what more do you need? :rolleyes:

and what happens to yellow.
FFS - have you actually read Important Note 6? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back