2 way light cicuit with E/L

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a problem with a 2 way light circuit, which at 1 end i have 2 strappers and 1 switchline on a 2 way light switch feeding 1 N/L

At the other end i have 2 strappers, 1 permanent feed, 1 E/L feed and 1 Switchline on an E/L switch and a 2 way switch,

This is all single stranded 2.5mm..any possible diagrams would be very much appreciated.

i've racked my brains on this for a few days now but have come up with no solution other than a rewire.

regards

Sponsored Links
i have a problem with a 2 way light circuit, which at 1 end i have 2 strappers and 1 switchline on a 2 way light switch feeding 1 N/L

At the other end i have 2 strappers, 1 permanent feed, 1 E/L feed and 1 Switchline on an E/L switch and a 2 way switch,
Switchline? E/L? N/L? What strange tongue is this?

This is all single stranded 2.5mm..any possible diagrams would be very much appreciated.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

i've racked my brains on this for a few days now but have come up with no solution other than a rewire.
Solution to what?

N/L normal light

E/L Emergency light

i use it at work, it's quicker on all the paper work they give you these days...
it gets better like...

E/Lm Emergency light Maintained
E/Lnm Emergency light Non Maintained

;)

what i'm trying to solve is that, no matter how i wire this up...i can't get both lights 2 switch together..because of the switchlines being at either end.

regards
well like ban I was a bit confused with your wording,a better description of what you are trying to achieve would be better.
however i think that i have ascertained that you have a light controlled by a 1 gang 2-way switch at one end and at the other end by a grid 2-gang which incorporates a 2-way switch and e/m test switch
if so, on the first switch you mentioned connect feed to light (switchline as per your description)into common(or equiv) and strappers into remaining two terminals and on the second switch,permanent live to common and strappers on other two terminals then on the e/l switch feed to........ hang on a min is this a wind up or is it the fact that Ive been on the vodka again and its 3.10am :confused: and i've totally misunderstood the question,
what i'm trying to solve is that, no matter how i wire this up...i can't get both lights 2 switch together..because of the switchlines being at either end.
what do you mean by both? is there two ceiling lights with their respective switch wires at each switch position and a e/light? or both as in one light and one e/light?

Sponsored Links
No this isn't a wind up, and at last i have someones attention rather than pick at Acronyms. now..

this installation worked fine before..only difference was, and why i have tried to change it is.

whenever and E/L test is carried out on a circuit, it isolated both lights so the emergency light would come on, this isn't how the client wants it, they want it so that when a test is carried out...only the E/L drops out and the N/L stays on, i have wired them up like this before but this requires both S/L to be connected together.

it is best to wire them up so that the normal lights are not isolated when you switch the E/L switch. this way the client isn't sat in the dark for 3hrs when you do a full discharge.

i'm think maybe i should just link the S/L from the E/L and connect it to the N/L atleast that way both lights will be switched from the same S/L...unless of course you guy's know a circuit diagram that could switch at both ends sepratlly?....what bothers me is they switched together before i took them apart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back