2003 Toyota Rav4 Died in Busy Intersection.

I believe I've located the sensor, pulled the single 10mm bolt but it is stuck tight in there. Wiggles slightly, but will not come out. Any ideas on how to get it out without breaking it in case it's still good?

cam_sensor01.jpg

cam_sensor02.jpg

Peace,
Mark

Sponsored Links
Its only the o ring holding it in now so it just needs to be wiggled and pulled at the same time. A little wd40 sprayed in a slight gap when you pull it out slightly helps, usually pliers or grips on the body of it but be careful.
It could well be the sensor but slipped timing can also flag this fault due to the crank and camshaft being out of sync.

Its only the o ring holding it in now so it just needs to be wiggled and pulled at the same time. A little wd40 sprayed in a slight gap when you pull it out slightly helps, usually pliers or grips on the body of it but be careful.
It could well be the sensor but slipped timing can also flag this fault due to the crank and camshaft being out of sync.

Thanks!

After a slight spray with WD-40 last night, it popped right out this morning. It was very dark and covered with varnish. I cleaned it and gently scuffed with 2000 grit sandpaper to polish it. Reinstalled and now the scanner shows now codes. Rav still won't start, however, the fuel pump is definitely running now. Made no sound at all before but clearly runs for a few seconds then goes quiet. May give the crank sensor a look as well before diving into the timing cover.

no_codes.jpg

Peace,
Mark

Sponsored Links
Well, I checked all 4 coil packs and saw big bright spark on each one. The fuel pump is running, I smell gas in each cylinder when I remove the plugs and in the throttle body. I guess that just leaves compression...Hmmm. It does indeed nave a chain and not a belt. So, I'm not sure how to proceed. Maybe get a compression gauge and check each cylinder?

I don't have specs on what each should show...I've read that it's 9.6:1 compression. How do I do the math on 3.39" bore and 3.39" stroke? Or, maybe someone just knows what the gauge should read and would share.

EDIT: Just found this:
Max = 184 psi
Min = 145 psi
Difference between cylinders = 15 psi or less

Peace,
Mark

Mark, I would be looking for around 210 psi per cylinder, reading the gauge. The most important thing is that all cylinders are nearly the same.
I have to say though, the compression isn't going to change over night or due to a collision, so I do feel that you are straying away from the problem a bit.
John :)
Just seen your edit.....normally the compressions would be within 10 psi of each other. Yours are a little low I think, but the engine would still run.
J.

Thanks. Those aren't my numbers...found them on workshop-manuals.com specific to the 2003 1AZ-FE. Haven't done any compression tests yet.

I ran the scanner again and it shows no codes.

What would get me back on the path to the problem? The fuel pump is fairly complex and holds the fuel filter and regulator...maybe I'll pull it and inspect for damage.

Peace,
Mark

Mark, I would be looking for around 210 psi per cylinder, reading the gauge. The most important thing is that all cylinders are nearly the same.
I have to say though, the compression isn't going to change over night or due to a collision, so I do feel that you are straying away from the problem a bit.
Just seen your edit.....normally the compressions would be within 10 psi of each other. Yours are a little low I think, but the engine would still run.
J.

Seriously Mark, at this point I think I would bale out and call on the services of a good auto technician......the thing is, they may have seen all of this before, and have the experience to test each component rather than just replacing bit by bit.
Personally I would suspect the crank and cam sensors are out of sync but who knows.....
If the engine won't go, then any codes wouldn't necessarily show up. There's a world of difference between a DIY code reader and professional diagnostic gear - not least the cost!
P.S I don't like being beat either, but I know when enough is enough......do lets know what happens.
J.

Yeah, I was to that point a few days back. I haven't spent any money on it yet...except the tow. I bought it as a project and have an offer as is, I just thought I could get a few more bucks with it running and learn a few things in the process. Which I have about anatomy but not so much about diagnostics. :(

In no hurry to fix it. Haven't checked the crank sensor yet...it's a bear to get to.

Peace,
Mark

Sponsored Links
Back