2006 MK 4 Fiat Punto electric window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered if anyone had any experience of these? Just bought a banger for my daughter (first car)! It has a few minor "issues" - one of which being the passenger side electric window won''t work. Pulled the door trim off, disconnected the plug from the motor and stuck my meter in the two terminals. I thought I'd either get +12V, -12V or 0V when I pressed the switch, but I'm actually getting about +8V or -1.7V depending on which way I press the switch. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Are the switches in the door itself, or on the centre console?
Just thinking about the age old problem of the wires snapping between cab and door.....
John :)

Try a different earth for your meter, on the main bodywork rather than the door. If you have two twisted together wires going into the door/window controller the door is controlled by a CAN network. So you will not get voltages on the meter as you expect.

We had Fiat back in the day and are good cars to own, not going to cost the earth to keep, but are a little temperamental in a few areas. Keep an eye on coolant level and as you already know the electrics.

Thanks gents, I'll try both. There are two switches in the driver's interior door handle - one for each window, and one in the passenger door handle. Interestingly, neither the passenger side switch nor the passenger switch in the driver's side are illuminated, but the driver's side switch for the driver's window IS. Not sure if that's significant.

Sponsored Links
I hope you find something!
My technique.......door card off, switch multiblock disconnected, ignition off.
I keep one of my multimeter leads needle sharp, to pierce the wires inside the car. With the other lead stuck in the switch block, move the wires in the door gap and see if the continuity breaks.
Be lucky!
John :)

Back