2006 Renault Megane - Engine won't start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2006 renault megane coupe cabriolet 1.5 Diesel. My car won't start. I don't think it's the battery (I've tried to jump start it). The steering won't lock as it usually does and there isn't the usual 'clicking' sound when I put my key card in, press the break and start button. Could it be an electrical fault maybe? Or something more simple? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are any dashboard lamps coming on, if not do they when you connect another battery?

Peter

Hi there,

Yes, the engine light and the handbrake light show on the dash. It's trying to turn over but eventually giving up. The only message on the display is 'steering not locked'.

I did a 3 hour journey yesterday with no sign of any problems at all. It wasn't until I went to go back out a few hours later that it wouldn't start. No lights or anything like that had been left on to drain the battery. So I can't understand how it would possibly be the battery.

It could be that the battery has failed, they can go quite suddenly but it should start with a jump from a vehicle with the engine running if that is so.

Peter

Sponsored Links
A mechanic friend has just looked at it and seems to think it is the 'glow plugs' (whatever these are). Does that make sense?

The glow plugs could make it difficult but wouldn't stop the engine turning over.

Peter

I thought that glowplugs assisted if the engine was cold but I'd only been parked for a few hours. The mechanic said that sometimes glowplugs just break for no particular reason. I'll have to look into it further then. I don't want to pay out for something that isn't going to fix the problem.

or you could try renaultforums.co.uk - lots of good help there

these are plagued with electrical faults, especially with the electronic steering lock. This may well be a dealer job, get it fixed and get rid of the car as you will forever be spending money on it

Thanks, I've already posted it on the Renault forum.

I've only had the car for 3 years. Got it at 9,000 miles and its only done 42,000 now. This is the first problem I have had with it. I was warned by my dad never to buy a french car. Think I'll listen next time.

Sponsored Links
Back