22mm copper pipe repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 22mm copper pipe supplying water to my bolier. It runs up one side of the house (inside) across the loft and down into a combi boiler in the bedroom.

I have a small leak at a join in the pipe in the loft. I've located the stop cock in the garden and one just before the boiler.
I'm happy cutting out the join and trying one of the various push repair sections i've seen for sale but i have two questions.

How am i best to isolate and drain the pipe and how much water should i expect to leak at the fitting?
Anyone got any reccommendations for repair pieces?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I presume that the 22mm pipework doesn't just feed the combi boiler from the service valve? i.e. does that length of 22mm pipework also feed your taps etc?

You shouldn't need to measure the volume of water, just see how much drains after you shut the service valve?

Open up a tap after you have shut the service valve & allow to drain.

Remember to turn the boiler off first mind!

Personally I would: -

Switch the boiler off, so I don’t risk any problems when it wants to draw water from the DCW supply.

Shut the service valve and open all the cold taps to drain the excess water in the system.

Once I was sure and can confirm the pipework is empty & that the leaking joint has stopped, carry out the repair.

Once you are happy with the work, turn the service valve back on and turn the boiler back on.

You will need to get rid of the excess air in the system though so run the taps for a bit on full bore.

Sponsored Links
You still might get a fair amount from a 22mm pipe. Are there any other compression joints in the run that you can crack open - giving you control of the water flow?

If not, do as suggested above. Place the largest container possible under the pipe and cut with a pipe slice slowly. Keep a bucket handy so that you can transfer the contents of the container to the bucket.

A good tip is to have a 22mm pushfit stop end handy as you can't place your thumb over two pipes whilst emptying the container.

Hopefully the water will drain completely and you won't need to do much else

A bit belt & braces I know ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back