25% rennovation rule

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How is the "25% renovation of any thermal element" rule applied to knock through extensions?

Specifically - Let's say I built a single storey rear extension on the back of a house, and knock the entire wall through so that the size of the original room in the house - let's call it a lounge - was doubled. It would look like one large room apart from a couple of piers and a downstand where an RSJ must be.

Have I renovated 50% of that room, so need to bring the floor and wall insulation up to spec in the existing half of the room?

Gary

Sponsored Links
Have I renovated 50% of that room, so need to bring the floor and wall insulation up to spec in the existing half of the room?
Gary
No, because you have not renovated or replaced 25% of a thermal element. If you were to hack off 25% of the plaster or lift 25% of the floor in the original room then technically that would need to be upgraded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back