2ft Retaining Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please bear with me as I'm a bit of a novice with this kind of stuff!

We currently have a small raised area in the back corner of our garden that's held up by a dry stone retaining wall. It's roughly 2ft high, and around 3m x 3m in the shape of the basic diagram attached (I've also attached a photo to hopefully make things a bit clearer)

What we wanted to do was make this area a bit larger into a more useable space to sit on in the summer as it's a north facing garden, so we were looking to build an rendered wall outside of this (the blue area in the attached diagram) and fill in/patio the top.

Just trying to figure out the best way to go about this. As we were planning to render it, was planning just to use blocks like this with damp-proof membrane on the soil side and some drainage, then get someone to render the outside.

The new area would be about 3.5m x 3.5m with a small bit around the side of the steps that are already there to sort of bring the steps inside the structure instead of outside if that makes sense.

Had suggestions to make the foundations about 300mm deep and twice the width of the blocks so 200mm wide, but I'm concerned that might be too little - looking at the retaining wall section here suggests we might want more blocks at the bottom? Maybe have it two blocks wide at the bottom, or even build the wall with them flat?

Any advice would be appreciated, especially if I'm thinking in completely the wrong direction here!

Sponsored Links
Is that all natural stone? It looks a lit better than render ever will, how about build your retaining wall the build the stone in front of the blocks?

Is that all natural stone? It looks a lit better than render ever will, how about build your retaining wall the build the stone in front of the blocks?

Pretty sure it's all natural stone yes. Obviously this comes down to personal taste, while there's nothing wrong with the natural stone and if it had been built bigger in the first place we'd have been happy to leave it that, but as we want to make it bigger we'd just prefer something more contemporary looking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back