2nd coat of Dulux quick dry exterior gloss- must I sand again, and can I use satin instead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just finished painting my fascias, and some rafters which come through the wall and are exposed behind the fascias. I sanded, then painted over the old paint with Dulux trade quick dry primer undercoat 2 in 1. Then I applied 1 coat of Dulux weathershield quick dry gloss, in black (don't know why I used quick dry, on reflection!).

It looks poor and definitely needs another coat, but I knew it would. 2 Qs-

1. I will have left about 18 hours between coats of the gloss. Bearing in mind it's quick drying paint, will I need to sand it again to make a key? (I'm hoping not- it's a lot of wood, and in awkward places).

2. Looking at the shiny finish, I think I'd prefer to do the second coat with Dulux Weathershield satin. Is this a bad idea? And if not, would giving the gloss a light sand to create a key be all I'd need to do? (or could I get away without sanding again since the gloss is so new?).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back