3 gang 2 way light switch flashing issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I've just fitted new lighting in my kitchen connecting some under cabinet LEDs and a total of 10 GU10 halogens on bars (6 on one, 4 on the other) on a 3 way 2 gang 10 amp switch.

I'd started by frying the original MK switch through my own stupidity so one trip to Wickes (only option) & I have an own brand switch (only option), feels cheap and nasty compared to the one I killed.

Anyway, since putting the wiring back and getting all the lights in place I now notice in the dark that I get a flash on the switch for the 6 light bar when turning off sometimes but notably not every time.

Googling I see a number of comments suggesting this is normal but it strikes me that really isn't a good sign so any comments / suggestions appreciated please.

Now I have a bit more time I'm happy to replace with a higher quality switch if that might help (MK I presume but open to suggestions) - I don't know what amps the original switch was so I wonder if that is immediately relevant although most I see online are 10amp or less.

Any pointers about what might be wrong appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its because you are operating the switch in the dark.

If you turn the lights on first then you won't see the flash. :LOL:

ah yes silly me, forgot to mention that the GU10 bulbs are 50w halogens.

Sponsored Links
A cheap and nasty switch will not break the arc as smoothly as a good quality one (even with the help of zero crossover). That is why you are seeing a flash, especially as it is dark and the load is quite big for a single switch. Even the good quality ones do it sometimes.

Thanks for that - I'll make that investment in a better switch and see how we go.

New MK switch duly purchased and no more lighting up of the switch.

I also purchased an LED bulb (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTGU9NW.html) to test the idea out - yes, exact fit and excellent lighting and should be much cheaper to run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back