3 gang light switch installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just refurbed my kitchen which only had one pendant light on a single switch. I want two additional lights controlled separately - hence I now have a 3 gang switch. What I had before was just a twin and earth cable at the switch, and the same at the pendant. I've now run two additional twin and earth cables to the new lights from the switch. I'm not sure how to wire the switch and can't find a diagram for the same set up online. I'm going to need an idiot's guide!
The switch has 3 x Com, L1, and L2 points.

Help appreciated.

Thnx

Sponsored Links
You will need another cable from present light to second and third.

You just do this two more times.
lrblbn1w6womn8.gif

Do you have a neutral at the switch to loop in or just the switch lines across the switch plate?
You need a neutral and live to create a circuit.

Sponsored Links
By the sounds of it the circuit has joint/junction boxes concealed in ceiling void.
So would it be a foolish question to ask, if what you say is true!
Why refurbish then decide to change the circuit arrangement? or have you rearranged the circuit, refurbished without making sure the circuit worked?
Which ever way, go to the back of the class and I have a hat for you ;)

Do you have a neutral at the switch to loop in or just the switch lines across the switch plate?
You need a neutral and live to create a circuit.

I have a live and neutral at the switch, yes.

I ran the cables near the start before the plastering, I figured it would be simple enough to wire up afterwards so didn't bother to test. Attic is above and there is conduit to the switch so I could run another cable if necessary. Happy to wear the hat if you also tell me how to do it :D

How is continuity of neutral made?
Don't be fooled in to thinking blue/blacks are neutral just because of the core colour!
If you have a neutral at the switch, what you should have is if single pole switches, is a permanent live normally at Com and the switch live at L1. They are often brown unsleeved ;) and blue sleeved brown (new colours or black sleeved red and red unsleeved). There would often be found a looped in live conductor that can be linked across com of all switches.
That deals with the live conductors then, a neutral blue or black unconnected to the switch linked back to each light.

GJW
Have a look a EFLI's picture above.
Is the wiring in your switch like that? If so, you do not have a neutral and you'll need additional cabling.

If you are not sure, take a pic of the back of the switch, and post it on here.

As you yourself stated in your original post, you have "A" twin and earth at the switch, this is as been pointed out NOT providing a neutral but live and switch live. You DO as pointed out need extra cabling from the original light fitting to provide a neutral at the new fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back