3 Gang Switch 2 Way Light -Wish to change 2 way light target

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I currently have an attic room with 4 lights. The current landing light is operated by one switch downstairs and by another switch (on a 3 gang switch) upstairs. Two of the remaining lights and the other one are operated by the remaining 2 switches on the 3 gang upstairs.

I am in the process of moving my stairs and and wish to change which light (upstairs) is operated by the switch downstairs but still have it function as a two way switch. I'd now like the downstairs switch to operate the light the middle switch upstairs currently turns on and off.

I have assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that this can be done by re-wiring the terminals of the existing 3 gang switch upstairs.

Having made a few failed attempts I realise that my understanding of the current wiring must be incorrect.

Here's a few images showing how things are at the moment.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Look on the DIYnot wiki, in electrics under the heading lighting, sub heading diagrams.

Ask any more questions once you have viewed those.

middle switch..take out the link and the wire in COM..
move wire from L1 to COM..
move wire in L1 and L2 on left hand switch to L1 and L2 on the middle switch..
put the wires you took out of COM from middle switch into L1 of left switch..

you may have now created a borrowed neutral problem that will cause agro if you have RCBO's fitted or 2 lighting circuits on different RCD's in a split load board..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back