3 Phase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
TT System, 2 overhead lines, 3 incoming fuses providing 3phase supply. How is this with only 2 overhead cables?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it is a TP supply?

Could it just be three single phase supplies?

This is a 3no. SP supplies, yet it uses a TP head and meter

3spcutout.jpg

How would i check if 3 single supplies? Why would it have three seperate supplies SP?

Sponsored Links
The only way to know for sure is to test the voltage between phases.

If it is a TP supply then you will typically get a reading of between 400V & 440V (U) and between 230V & 250V (Uo)

Don't know why three SP supplies? Maybe a single 100A supply was not big enough, and the cost of upgrading the DNO transformer and wiring prohibited the installation of a TP supply?

That would be my guess. Are you sure there isn't another supply coming into the property from somewhere else?

Short of having a big transformer / invertor somewhere you can only have a single phase supply on two wires.

I don't think it is personally. The DNO neutral appears to be 16.0mm² with potential to be carrying 300A :eek:

If there are only 2 wires then it can only really be a single phase supply. Wether or not the 2 wires are phase and neutral depends on the DNO setup, they may be 2 phases if they are feeding a transformer.
I must admit, I didn't like the look of RFs cutout the first time I saw it either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back