3 Port Diverter Valve not working???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

I have a Potterton Profile 80E Boiler and when heating is called for all the upstairs Rads work fine but downstairs are cold, I checked the Pump and felt it was spinning I could not open the Pump Central screw to physically check as the nut is too tight. I checked the 3 Port Valve whose small lever is very very loose ie when moved no resistance was felt at all. Can someone please tell me whether this has affected the downstairs Rads and whether the synchron motor has gone or the whole diverter valve itself? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
wouldn't say its the valve at all if the upstairs rads are ok.
more likely airlock in the drop downs to downstairs rads.

try closing the upstairs rads till the lower ones get hot.

Could well still be the pump mate. Ive had the motor running before today but the spindle has snapped so the impeller isnt spinning.

Worth taking the pump head off and checking it.

Turn all upstairs and downstairs rads off and and turn downs on one by one see if they get hot. That will clear any air locks.

Hi Serco service and Looneyfitter

Many thanks for your reply, I will attempt what you advise BUT what about the Diverter Valve whose small Lever has No resistance whtsoever when shifted left or right? Does this imply the Synchron Motor has failed? From past experience when the lever was shifted it had a noticeable resistance to move!

Sponsored Links
what about the Diverter Valve whose small Lever has No resistance whatsoever when shifted left or right?
When the heating is on the lever should have no resistance. Turn system off at main switch (turning timer to off is not enough) and check the lever again. If it is still loose, the valve is sticking.

The actuator (metal box) can be removed on all current valves, revealing the spindle sticking out of the body (brass part). The spindle should turn easily, normally about 20 degrees. If it is stiff, lubrication with a small amount of silicon or PTFE (or WD40) lubricant may do the trick.

Full fault finding info is in How a mid-position valve works

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back