3 year old roof leaking at rafters and inbetween rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a new house, the roof was relaid approximately 3 years ago.

I've noticed that water is now penetrating down some of the rafters (see pics leak 1+2), mostly on the left side of the house (see pic roof1).

There are also water marks inbetween the rafters (see pic leak2), I thought the roof felt would have stopped any water penetrating through.

I was wondering if someone can see any obvious problems from the following photos (I can take some more if needed):

Roof1
View media item 34937
Roof2
View media item 34938
Roof3
View media item 34939
Leak 1
View media item 34940
Leak 2
View media item 34941
Thank you

Sponsored Links
The tiles look well laid and unless you've got one missing or broken they won't leak.

Check the flashing at the bottom of the rooflights: with profile tiles sometimes the lead forms a channel behind them and the water flows to the sides into the roof rather than down the tiles.

Check also that the roofspace is adequately vented, it might be condensation

Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

I'm relieved the roof looks ok.

I think I'll get someone in to check for cracked tiles.

Regarding the condensation, the eaves seem quite cool, and the air seems to circulate ok and at times I can hear the wind blowing through.

Is there a particular way I can check to make sure it has been properly vented?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
have you got anything just below that area that could be venting air like an extractor or leakage of air via badly sealed pipes or badly fitting trap door ??

Though the aprons on the velux windows look decidedly dodgy i'm pretty sure it is a condensation issue.
The insulation in your attic looks to be inadequate look to beef it up to approx 240mm.
Ventilation should be both low and high ie vented soffit or over fascia vents and vented ridge.

I don't see anything below that area that could be a problem.

Replacing the insulation was on my to do list, so I'll make that a priority now.

Do you think I should get the velux aprons replaced?

I'm concerned about this venting issue, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for regarding vented soffit or over fascia vents. I don't really see anything in the eaves which resembles a vent. But again I don't know what it looks like it or where it would be.

I'll get someone in to have a look.

Thanks again for the replies.

Looking closely at the front apron of the LH window it would seem that an additional strip of lead has been tucked under the Velux flashing; If I was a betting man I would bet a week's wages it is leaking.

just to make sure there are no ventilation ducts traveling through the attic or venting into the attic ??

Do you think I should get the velux aprons replaced?
Its not the fabric of the aprons that are the problem! its the position of the velux in relation to the to the apron overlapping the tile.

What was the roof covering before the new roof? plain tile? The velux should have been raised to accomodate the height of the tile.
The apron is running back on itself forming a gulley for the water to lie in.

See it all the time. :confused:

Roofer - Yes there is lead flashing, I believe it's in all the veluxes. I am unsure if it leaks. I'll check when it next rains.

Big-all - No, there aren't any ventilation ducts traveling through the attic or venting into the attic.

Alastair Reid - I am unsure what was there before as I didn't live here when it got replaced, judging by the surrounding houses it just looks like a plain tile to me.

Having taken a closer look I do see the gulley you pointed out. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem without raising the velux?

Thanks once again.

What's the pipe in picture 2 over the right window???

Also don't remove your insulation, just add to it going crossways, bringing it upto 300mm. You will notice a big difference.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back