300mm block wall or thinner stud wall for front door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We're having a house extension built right now and we have an internal porch to step into from outside, then you have the main front door in the middle of the 3m wide porch area.

The plans show for a 300mm wide block and block cavity wall but as it isn't load bearing we have the option to make it a much thinner and cheaper stud wall filled with insulation.

The internal porch area is going to be K rendered, the same as the outside of the extension. The front door is a standard double glazed stable door that we currently have, it will be moved.

The question...

Given that the door is quite heavy, what wall will be most resilient to the stress that opening and closing the door repeatedly will put on the wall?

My head says go for the blocks but as they will only be 'sat' on the concrete slab and fixed to the load bearing walls with wall starters i'm not so sure. A stud wall could be rawl bolted to all four edges and may even offer flexibility to asborb shock instead of a stiff and uncompliant block wall that may just crack.

Many thanks in advance.

Jono

Sponsored Links
The door will have a frame that will take the main loading of the door. This will be obviously fixed to the wall, but you can use either method without major drama.

Stud wall it is. Materials delivered and M10 sheild anchors purchased. I'm sure it will be fine, i'm just a stress head! Thanks. Jono

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back