4 Core SWA cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of completing changing our garden and as a result we need to think about sockets etc.

Previously there were a number of outdoor sockets and seperate lights but all run off a 4 core 2.5mm swa cable which has seperate circuits on mains box to turn off either the outdoor sockets or lights.

In our new garden I would like to keep one socket and then the lighting circuit for installing low voltage lights. These lights though run off a plug socket so I am not sure how to lay this out.

My gardener has started work so needs to know what to do with the wires. At the moment I have kept one socket and a swa wire coming off that on that was originally used for lighting.
Will this work when the electrician comes to install the low voltage(that comes with a plug)?
I could always get him to change the single socket to a double and use one for the plug for the lights and the other as a spare but this would mean both socket and lights would be on the same circuit.
Could another socket be installed using the swa cable that was previously used for lighting?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The low voltage lights I have seen are 12v and run off a transformer that needs to be plugged into a powet socket. Does that answer you question?
Thanks

My gardener has started work so needs to know what to do with the wires.
Nothing - he's a gardener, not an electrician.

Will this work when the electrician comes to install the low voltage(that comes with a plug)?

Why don't you ask the electrician?

The low voltage lights I have seen are 12v and run off a transformer that needs to be plugged into a powet socket.
Will there be a socket near to the lights for it to plug into?

Is the transformer a wall-wart, or one with a trailing flex? If the former will the socket retain its IP rating with it in? If the latter can it be used outdoors?

Where will the cables from the transformer to the lights run?

Sponsored Links
The electrician will not be coming for a week or so and gardener needs to know whether to bury the wires not if not needed. I could ring the electrician but want to make sure I know what the options are and he doesn't just go for the quicker solution.

There is one socket as it stands but want to leave that as a spare for lawnmower etc. the transformer has a traling flex so the socket will keep the ip rating. This is the kit I am looking to buy.
http://12vgardenlights.com/collecti...s-with-remote-controller-1?variant=5926049091

I would ideally like this to go the lighting circuit so I can keep the lighting and power sockets on separate circuits, as they were before.

Thanks

The electrician will not be coming for a week or so and gardener needs to know whether to bury the wires not if not needed.
He doesn't know.

You don't know.

We don't know.

Any of the above 3 can guess.

Or you could ask the man who does know, and whose professional services you're paying for.

There is one socket as it stands but want to leave that as a spare for lawnmower etc.
Replace it with a double one.

I would ideally like this to go the lighting circuit so I can keep the lighting and power sockets on separate circuits, as they were before.
Sockets on lighting circuits are rarely a good idea.

Attachments

• IMG 1.jpg
    IMG 1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 168
Ok I might have that wrong then. I didnt have a long look at it.
I'm not too concerned with how it is since theres no power to it yet and when the electrician comes he will know what to do.

I simply wanted to know if the gardener needs to worry about burying the lighting swa cable or not, if this will be disconnected.

I might give the electrician a ring and ask him about it.

Thanks for you help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back