4 or 8 ch DVR?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to purchase a DVR for 4 cameras. However I'm thinking of getting an 8 channel for the 'option' of possibly adding an extra camera or two later.

I just want to get my head around is there any disadvantage in having just four cameras on a 8 channel, as apposed to a 4 channel DVR?

Sponsored Links
I bought a 4 ch dvr, the man in the shop kept asking me if I was sure that I want only 4 cameras, now 5 years later I am looking to replace it to a 8 ch dvr.

Andy

If you've had five years' use, I guess you could say it doesn't owe you anything.
But considering (according to various website prices) there's only something like £20 difference between a 4 & 8 channel, it seems to make sense to get the 8 channel to be 'future proof' (in this situation).

I just wonder if there's a 'downside' to using 'half' of an 8 channel?

Sponsored Links
Want one that's relatively intuitive to use. Put one in my Dad's a few years back, but you have to trawl through about four menu / sub-menu pages, just to review if someone's just walked up the path. Impossible for my Dad to navigate, and a real pain for me. So half the time you wouldn't even bother looking at it unless it was really important.

I'm hoping later DVRs are a bit easier to use.

cheap end viola dvr not had issues with the range vxh higher end both from videcon have had some from dynamic cctv no issues come with a 3 year warranty,but it all depends on budget.

Also check the max record frame rates, a lot of 8ch have the same max frame rate as the 4 channel, which then leaves you with half for each camera.

i.e. 4ch 100 FPS = 25 FPS per camera, 8ch 100 FPS = 12.5 FPS per camera.

The cheaper end of the Full D1 also seem more limited at when going to 8 channel.

You might not need/want to record 'real time' on each camera so it might not matter to you.

• Thanks
Reactions: SNM
The other trick is to check how many video codecs it has. If it has two, one might do channels 1-4 and the other channels 5-8. If it has four, they're probably split 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8. Either way, if you use channels 1, 3, 5 and 7, you'll get the maximum frame rate on all channels.

Whilst you may not need/want to record in real time (25 fps), it can be useful to record continuously at, say, 6 fps and then at 25 fps when the dvr detects motion. This way you can see a bit of everything all the time and a lot when things move. This will increase your recording time considerably but you will have to tinker with the motion detection settings and masks to get it right.

• Thanks
Reactions: SNM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back